Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The death of P&R and what it says about where we are.
(03-11-2023, 10:28 PM)samhain Wrote: I think the issue with the masks is that most people were wearing the wrong ones.  The N95s were largely unavailable and rationed (correctly) to medical personnel.  People just slapped whatever peice of fabric they could find over their pie holes and people, for the most part, thought that was effective.  It wasn't quite that simple.

The vaccines we had here were significantly more effective.  The Chinese vaccine was junk, and they are currently suffering for it.  The Russian vaccine was practically useless.  

The stuff we had here did a decent job of containing symptomatic covid.  Like the flu vaccines, it wasn't perfect.  Every year it's a crapshoot.  That's kind of what vaccines are. 

Trump and DeSantis both praised and pushed the vaccine early but then did a bit of a mealy mouthed 180 on the whole thing.  I assume that was because enough of their voter base did enough internet research to be convinced that this vaccine Trump was bragging up creating and pundits were even teasing naming the "Trump Vaccine" was either a form of government overreach, or just flat-out going to kill you.  Things went from "Look what git-r-done Trump invented!" to "I support medical freedom" pretty quickly.

I wouldn't say conservatives are the only ones who conclusion shop in the internet age, but they seem to be damn good at it.  I'm a bit biased since the only people I know who aren't vaccinated are of the "It will kill you in X number of years" and/or the "It has a microchip and the number of the beast in it" variety.  I knew some reasonable conservatives in the pre-Trump era but due to moving to a more rural area I know a few older folks who are vaccinated "I want my tax break" republicans and a lot of rural dogmatic folks.

Side note, is it hyperbole for me to think that the GOP's best chance of getting back in the white house in 2024 is for the republican-led house to default on our debt and intentionally make things as financially miserable for the working class and then say "Look what Biden did!"
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The death of P&R and what it says about where we are. - Nately120 - 03-11-2023, 10:51 PM