Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Bengals Will Be Just Fine For 2023 Season
(03-11-2023, 11:19 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I think Carman put Williams on notice he's coming after the position. Williams better get it together this off season and put on some more weight and strength, or he will be relegated to the swing backup tackle position and Carman will start at LT. That can't help but make them both better, so let's see who puts in the work this off season.

More competition is great, happy Carman finally got a chance and played well. Was taking a ton of flack for backing up the pick 
for years. People finally saw what I was talking about late in the season and in the Playoffs. He doesn't get pushed around like 
Jonah does. He will struggle with speed rushers but so do most big mauling OL.

(03-11-2023, 11:52 AM)samhain Wrote: The Carman situation is frustrating.

He did everything you could ask of him at the most critical time of year.  

This occurred in a season where he was a healthy scratch more than once.  It really calls the OL coach and his ability to evaluate talent into question.  The guy not only held his own, but was extremely physical and a willing mauler in the run game.  Did not fit the narrative of a lazy fat guy that didn't like football that hung around his neck since the minute he got here.  This dude rode the bench behind Adeniji.  I just don't get it.

I get that it's 2 games, but this team is starving for capable young OL.  Failing to find a place for him is discouraging.  What's also discouraging is that he's going into year 3 and will be extension-eligible as Higgins is right now.  How are they supposed to evaluate Carman when he's on the bench?  

How pissed would you be if this guy sits behind Jonah, the anointed starter for another season, due to size of contract only?  How pissed would you be if he walks after his rookie deal only to sign with another team and look like he did in the playoffs while the Bengals continue to toil trying to find homegrown OL talent?

People clamor for McGlinchey as a RT candidate.  MicGlinchey is basically a rich man's Jonah Williams.  Jonah has played the right side.  I feel like the team is missing an opportunity to maximize the in-house talent by leaving Jonah at LT.  That move makes the biggest offseason need a non-need.

Lot of great questions and points in this post Samhain. It has been frustrating on how the coaches have handled Carman and 
the entire situation. One of my few complaints about this coaching staff. If the OL doesn't improve significantly this season I am 
for moving on from Pollack and getting a better OL coach, also Brian Callahan can go somewhere else as well, sometimes you 
can have too many minds like Billy B said back in the day.

To rule out moving Jonah to a position he HAS played before and played well I think is a big mistake and will continue to say 
so until Carman does what they are saying and is the answer at RT. I don't see it, could see it the other way around where 
Jonah is decent at RT and Carman is better at LT than Jonah though.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals Will Be Just Fine For 2023 Season - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-11-2023, 02:40 PM