Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Transition Tag
(03-21-2023, 02:58 PM)CincyWestside Wrote: So I was reading somewhere or saw a Tweet or something that said teams that want to try to sign Lamar Jackson must have first-round picks this year and next year to sign him to an offer sheet.

However, what happens if a team that wants him waits until after this year's draft to sign him? Honestly, if I was the Texans or Jets, that is what I'd do. Wait until after the draft to try to acquire him. That way you use your top picks on some quality pieces this year and then presumably if he puts them in the playoffs or even the wildcard hunt then you'd be trading away mid to late first-round picks in the future instead.

I know there isn't much precedent for transition tags being exercised and used, but this scenario has to be a loophole in the process, right?

This makes no sense for the Texans.  They are not in "win now" mode.  Their roster still generally sucks and adding a win now QB makes no sense.

They're sticking and picking a QB at 2.

However, I do agree that it makes MUCH more sense to try and sign Lamar after the draft to push the picks out to 24-25.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
The Transition Tag - CincyWestside - 03-21-2023, 02:58 PM
RE: The Transition Tag - CincyWestside - 03-21-2023, 04:12 PM
RE: The Transition Tag - Stewy - 03-21-2023, 05:41 PM