Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post craziest draft takes here
(04-26-2023, 03:07 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: 1. Unless they take Darnell Wright at 28 or Dawand Jones at 60 (or some other major value pick later in the draft), they will not draft a single OT in this draft. It may sound crazy, but with Collins optimistic about his return at or near opening day, Jackson Carman's (brief) renaissance at LT during the playoffs, Cody Ford's return to his natural position of tackle on a vet minimum deal and Jonah Williams being moved from LT to RT (or being traded, we'll see), there simply is not room for a development OT on this roster right now. They'd have to be, at a minimum, better than D'Ante Smith or Hakeem Adeniji to even maintain a spot on the roster. I don't see any definitive upgrades at OT in the 3rd round or later and even some 2nd round options like Blake Freeland and Matt Bergeron may not be good enough to compete with Carman, Collins and Williams at RT this year. If competing for a SB window with this core intact is a priority, I think they will prioritize positions that can give a higher day 1 impact than a 3rd or 4th string RT in 2023.

2. OG/C will be a higher priority than many realize. I don't think they'll definitely attempt to upgrade Volson, but if they are given the opportunity, I think they'd be open to it. Making Volson, a guy who has shown that he can hold up at guard for a full season (even if he didn't exactly thrive there), the first guard off your bench is a really valuable asset and there are only 4 guards currently on this roster that have any starting experience and no back up centers with any starting experience. I could see them targeting a guard with center experience/versatility somewhere on day 2 if the cards fall right.

3. They will not address RB in the first three rounds. This is more of a gut feeling than anything else, but I just think this RB class is too deep with rotational guys, but too shallow with 3 down backs. There are a bunch of different types of committee backs, like a power running in Roschon Johnson, a speed threat like Israel Abanikanda, but I only see 2 total backs that have day 1 3 down potential: Bijan Robinson and Zach Charbonnet. I don't think the Bengals will want to spend a day 2 pick on a committee back, so I think it's likely top of their priority list on day 3 to get a guy like Eric Gray or, if we're lucky, Roschon Johnson in the 4th or 5th round.

Then, I have a few other less "crazy" takes but more just value thoughts. I don't think they take a TE in round 1 (not enough positional value), I don't think they leave day 2 without a CB (too much positional value) and I think they'll pounce at any player that can generate a pass rush, inside or outside, at any point in the draft, even the first round (way too much positional value).

EDIT: Okay, I probably should have perused the thread before replying. My takes are nowhere near crazy enough it seems. I guess mine are closer to "bold takes" than "crazy takes"

Honestly, your first two I think could very well be what will happen. I think they will ride it out with what we have at RT but look to add better quality depth/competition to OC/OG. A guy to learn behind Ted K, and maybe a guy who will unseat Volson.  
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Post craziest draft takes here - TKUHL - 04-26-2023, 07:59 PM
RE: Post craziest draft takes here - jj22 - 04-26-2023, 01:55 PM
RE: Post craziest draft takes here - CJD - 04-26-2023, 03:07 PM
RE: Post craziest draft takes here - CJD - 04-27-2023, 12:10 AM
RE: Post craziest draft takes here - bengaloo - 04-27-2023, 07:58 AM