Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do NFL teams have to place money in escrow for guaranteed contracts?
I put his here because the Bengals are looking at a lot of large contracts sooner than later. It seems they answer my be no to having to place the full amount of guaranteed money in escrow.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/02/nfls-funding-rule-isnt-mandatory-did-the-browns-make-escrow-payment-for-deshaun-watson-deal/

We have lots of discussion on the cap also the impact teams have on guaranteed contracts. I was under the impression teams were handicapped if they fully guaranteed contracts or even in cases of huge contracts without full guarantees hampered if they place a huge mount of money in escrow to cover the guarantee.

"The section on “Funding of Deferred and Guaranteed Contracts” appears at page 178 of the CBA. It begins like this: “The NFL may require that by a prescribed date certain, each Club must deposit into a segregated account"

I am not sure how the NFL can arbitrarily make some teams make guaranteed money (NFL approves all contracts) be placed in escrow based on the language in the CBA I quoted from the article above.

Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Do NFL teams have to place money in escrow for guaranteed contracts? - Luvnit2 - 06-17-2023, 11:18 AM