Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Because you all knew someone would post this eventually
If Saquon Barkley never gets that long term contract from the Giants should we have him on the radar? Let’s pretend Saquon’s legal team is asking for 3yr/45M, with 22M guaranteed. So around 15M per year average.

Let’s say he has a healthy, career year and is regarded as a top 3 RB.

What players would you let go to have Barkley next offseason? Only rule is you can’t cut someone who is a free agent next offseason. So no saying just let Irv walk. Can’t cut someone you don’t have the rights to.

So please correct me if I’m wrong but when you sign contracts with signing bonuses doesn’t the team have to have the bonus money in the bank? So if Barkley gets 3yr/45M with 22M guaranteed don’t we have to have 22M plus what his bases alert would end up being? (Around 7.5M)? So if that was the hypothetical contract wouldn’t we have to have at minimum 30M on hand to give him? Once again i don’t know so please correct me if I’m wrong. Don’t have to be a dick about it.

So under my scenario we have to shave off 30M from existing players. I don’t have info on cap hits and penalties so sorry but i have to make this list as if cutting someone cleanly takes them off your cap numbers with no penalties.

La’el Collins, Mixon and BJ Hill would be around 30M right there, with a possible Nick Scott cut if we wanted to shave off 3 more million.

This pictured as a theoretical trade would be Mixon, Hill and Collins for Saquon Barkley. Starting RB, backup RT and rotation DT.

Would that be too much? Is that simply too many rotational guys to sacrifice for one guy? Who views this as a good deal?
Keep in mind we don’t really have solid replacements for Hill or Collins yet. So those would create draft holes.

For reference here are some cap numbers. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap//
-Housh
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Because you all knew someone would post this eventually - Housh - 07-18-2023, 04:10 PM