Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bengals pass blockers ranked #2...
...from the bottom.

Source is Footballguys, where I get most of my fantasy news.  I don't know if they know up from applesauce about pass blocking, but they do help me win my fantasy leagues more often than not.  The only starting offensive line they have rated below us in pass protection is Carolina.

I look forward to proving them way wrong.  But are they?

2 - Cincinnati Bengals

Starters with pass-blocking grades:

LT Orlando Brown Jr: B+
LG Cordell Volson: C+
OC Ted Karras: C+
RG Alex Cappa: C+
RT Jonah Williams: C+

Every preseason I get the same feedback from fans: my team made this big move. So why aren't they ranked higher? The answer is always the same. Usually, when a team has to make a big move, that's a sign they weren't that good in the first place. The Bengals made a very big move this offseason, bringing in Orlando Brown Jr. from the Kansas City Chiefs via free agency. At left tackle, Brown is a top-tier run blocker and pretty good in pass protection. Brown's arrival (and Jonah Williams moving to right tackle) is the cherry on top of the Bengals' line two-year rebuild. And in the run game, there's a lot to like, ranking 16th overall.

But outside of Brown, the group has documented problems in pass blocking. Jonah Williams gave up nine sacks last season, but it should be noted he was playing with two dislocated knees. This is a testament to his toughness, but it's natural to wonder how he responds this season. At right guard, Alex Cappa is a beast in the run game and is known for his strength. But Cappa's pass protection isn't anything to write home about. The story at left guard is worse, where Cordell Volson grades out as below average, beatable in both phases. Center Ted Karras spent most of his career as a backup in New England, and while he provides veteran leadership, he's never ranked above average as a starter. La'el Collins is a talented athlete, but he's still on PUP, rehabbing an ACL tear suffered in Week 16. Yes, Orlando Brown's addition helps. But all of this adds up to a decent run-blocking group with questions at pass-blocking at four of the five starting spots.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Bengals pass blockers ranked #2... - Speedy Thomas - 08-17-2023, 09:26 AM