Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D-Day Landings- Easily Done Better?
I'm going to look up if this is discussed anywhere online after I post this, but could the D-Day invasions have been done differently that might have saved ten of thousands of lives?

I'm thinking of the landing vessels on the beach: they opened the front, making them easy targets for machine gun spray fire.

If they had opened from the back, wouldn't the soldiers have had the protection of the landing vessels and not be shot as they immediately opened from the front?

I realize that they could have still been shot when they ran out from around the back, but they wouldn't have been as cluttered together, and it's also more difficult to hit a moving target. I realize the machine guns didn't aim at soldiers individually, but it's still more difficult than hitting a stationary group.

Or would that have taken too much time? I can see the argument for taking too much time for the vessels that didn't make it to the beach and the soldiers were waste-deep in water, but I feel like a lot of soldiers could have been saved if they didn't open from the front, making them easy targets.

Is it not as simple as I'm thinking?
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
D-Day Landings- Easily Done Better? - BFritz21 - 09-07-2023, 03:34 PM