Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How bad our offense is, by the numbers
The run game is becoming a huge problem.

It's not that Mixon has been bad. He's actually played well. He's been more willing to run to contact than I remember him being in years.

IMO it's about predictability and usage. No DC is looking at this offense and thinking they have to commit to stopping the run. Even when Burrow was at his worst, and yes you could argue the 2nd half yesterday along with the early season fit that description, they were throwing the shit out of the ball after the first couple of offensive series/scripted plays.

Burrow with a full compliment of receivers demands a lot of attention even in a diminished capacity. There are light boxes out there to be exploited nearly all game long. Mixon got 12 carries yesterday. 12. On top of that, you have what's still largely a horizontal passing attack. Why would any defense do anything but sell out to stop the limited passing game? We've seen both yesterday and in Tennessee that if that's not working, the offense sputters to a grinding halt.

I hate to bash the staff because they've gained a ton of credit in the last 2 seasons. Even so, it's staggering to realize how little this team takes advantage of defenses just begging to have the ball run down their throats every damn week. At the very least it could draw in some coverage to open up the pass. At best, you give the qb a break and take the onus off of him for the totality of the offense.

I've said it before, but last season's success was largely rooted in the run game taking shape. When they started using Perine behind Cappa nd Collins, it added a much needed physicality to the offense. I hate to make Samaje sound like more of a player than he was, but the threat and capability of getting tough, physical yards made the cumulative offense much more complete. There is currently no back on this team that's going to dish out that kind of punishment game in and game out. If teams sold out to stop the pass, Perine would get the ball and run people over.

Some of the nip and tuck roster building that's being done to make space for the stars is proving to be more impactful than I had expected. The lack of TE and legitimate 3rd down back is hurting them badly, IMO. If Mixon goes down, I have no idea what they will do. If there was ever a season to make an in-season trade, it's this one.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: How bad our offense is, by the numbers - samhain - 10-16-2023, 05:30 PM