Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How bad our offense is, by the numbers
(10-16-2023, 05:25 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I mean, you have to throw out the first few games because of the injury or at least provide that context.

To me, its 75% on the players and 25% on the coaches. There are execution lapses ALL over the field by different players on any given play during any given game.

Perfect example was a designed explosive to Irv Smith last game. Burrow was pressured on the inside by a failed offensive line block. He had to hit the check down.

If he had 1 more second of time he would have hit Irv Smith on the play design for a 35 yard plus TD. He was WIDE OPEN - he just didn't have time to let the play deveop. This is the kind of stuff thats exposed by watching the tape. Not by looking at numbers alone.

It's failed execution by players more often than not. A false start on third down that kills a drive. A failed block on an explosive shot play where Burrow doesn't have enough time to let the play develop. A RB who can't make a catch to pick up a short third down conversion and we have to punt.

Everyone wants to blame play calling and coaching because its the macro and lazy thing to do, but you need to hold the players accountable.

On this, I've always held this philosophy:

On individual plays, you can look at execution. That said, when the crap starts to pile up, you have to start looking at the coaches. At least look at them. Especially when you have this much talent on offense. Guys who have gotten it done at the highest level in the very recent past.

In those cases, injury or coaching are usually the 2 you look at.

If everyone is healthy, we should be rolling. If we were rolling for the most part, you wouldn't even notice or care about the times players failed to execute. Crap is adding up.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: How bad our offense is, by the numbers - Shake n Blake - 10-16-2023, 05:31 PM