Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why the Safeties Play So Loose
(12-06-2023, 04:33 PM)casear2727 Wrote: We should understand that Lou's greatest work is when we have a lead or playing a team is one dimensional.  He has always played zone and he has always played safeties deep.  He doesnt care about yards, as he has said a million times.  We are very good in the redzone.

I too am sick of hearing about Bates and Bell.  No one wanted to pay Bates.  He laid down and pouted for at least one season.  We went to the Super Bowl in 2021, Dax Hill had more interceptions and pass breakups in his first 8 starts than Bates did that entire season.

Bates seemingly led the team in missed tackles every season.  Bates gave up BOTH TDs vs KC in the AFCCG.

Bell was not athletic thus we were not as versatile - Bell always had twice as many snaps in the box than he did at free safety.  He did 4 interceptions last year, but he only had one the previous 2 years.

Bates and Bell are both good players, smart with excellent intangibles. But we need to stop acting like they were Ed Reed & Troy Polamalu.  Our young guys are learning fast and their speed and athleticism is showing.  Lou is primarily a zone guy and these guys will eventually read WRs tendencies against the zone much better as time goes on.  Same with scramble drill, which has been a serious issue.  Many complain about the TE, which is legitimate, but against our defense the TE finds a hole quickly and sits, they are not running elaborate routes.

What some people will not like hearing is that our biggest weakness in the passing game is Mike Hilton.   He is playing way more snaps at Free Safety because he is a liability when we play man coverage.   I see Dax, Battle and DJ improving and flashing at times.  I agree with someone earlier suggesting we pick up a true free safety, that would allow Dax and Battle to much more versatile.

Great post!
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why the Safeties Play So Loose - Nepa - 12-05-2023, 11:28 PM
RE: Why the Safeties Play So Loose - Nepa - 12-06-2023, 10:22 AM
RE: Why the Safeties Play So Loose - jj22 - 12-06-2023, 11:36 AM
RE: Why the Safeties Play So Loose - J24 - 12-06-2023, 04:05 PM
RE: Why the Safeties Play So Loose - Sled21 - 12-06-2023, 06:14 PM