Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Rudy Guiliani defamation cost him $148 million
(12-24-2023, 03:01 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Respectfully, you're misinterpreting my position.  In no way shape or form have I defended Rudy, nor would I attempt to.  My statement is in regard to the people who reacted to this verdict with undisguised glee and continue to attempt to defend the insane dollar amount awarded.  If you view this type of judgment as a "deterrent" an argument that has been raised several times in this thread, then you are absolutely advocating for a chilling effect on speech caused by lawfare.  The next example won't have to be as obviously egregious as Rudy's.  My point, when boiled down to its essence, is that the dollar value awarded is intentionally outrageous and disproportionate to what people who have actually lost the loved ones have received.  This is not justice, this is revenge.  While the justice system is not, and never will be, perfect, there are times when doing the right thing is more obvious, and easily achieved than others.  This is one of those times, and those involved failed on every level possible.  A reduction on appeal to something approximating a just amount doesn't change any of that.

Oh, I was not trying to imply you meant to defend Mr. Giuliani in any way. I'm also mostly siding with your position on this - I just tripped over that one sentence "it can be easily used against you" when those in power change. I just don't think that's entirely true. Imho, it can still not be easily used against anybody, but just against people who do similar deeds than America's fallen mayor. And if one were to do similar things, even if in the name of liberals, I am not certain that too many people would actually cry foul if that person gets sentenced to absurd amounts of damages either.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rudy Guiliani defamation cost him $148 million - hollodero - 12-25-2023, 12:02 PM