Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For 2024: We Need a New Identity on Defense
Early this morning I started a thread on a new look for the offense and the postings on that thread are excellent. Now let’s turn to the defense because the “bend but don’t break” identity is NOT working. Yes, Lou Anarumo and his players showed occasional flashes of brilliance here and there in 2023 but statistically they are at or near the bottom of the league in most defensive categories. This is not a recipe for success.

Losing Von Bell, Jessie Bates, Larry Ogunjobi, and — yes — Eli Apple too has proven devastating. The young guys like Dax Hill and Jordan Battle might be good someday. Don’t get me started on Nick Scott; you can time his 40 yard dash with a sundial. Also, I think Chidobe Awuzie’s best days are in the past.

To me it’s 25% players and 75% scheme on defense. The tackling is, on any scale, horrendous. I’ve seen Christmas presents wrapped up better than opposing ball carriers. No matter the players’ talent level they will constantly underachieve if they are in the wrong locations on the field. Too many receivers got on top of our secondary and the scheme seems to encourage this.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
For 2024: We Need a New Identity on Defense - Fan_in_Kettering - 01-01-2024, 07:17 PM