Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So how do you think we need to fix the defense this offseason?
After hearing Logan Wilson talking about how the LBers were hampered because they could not rely on the secondary being correctly positioned and also the constant flood of explosive plays we allowed in the passing game, I have to think the coaches will have fixing the communication problems as a high priority. Since it seems these issues arose at least partly from losing both Bates AND Bell because one of them apparently was making alignment calls based on what they were seeing, that function needs to be replaced with a better option. I see two options:

1) Proceed on the assumption that Battle in his development will next season have the proper recognition skills to take on the role and be effective at it. This may not be a bad thing as Battle in college was noted for good processing skills. But it is a risk of course.

2) Add a savvy veteran Safety or CB to fill this role. That would REALLY rest on who will be out there.

Obviously the other priority area is the Interior Defensive Line. We need a blue chip DT from Free Agency (and I mean a REAL blue chip not just someone who flashed a little) and probably need to double down on DT in the draft also. This can both really help our rush defense and our pass rush (by providing a source of consistent pass rush not named Trey).

What do you think? If we signed a free agent DT (Jones or other such) AND went DT in Round One would you say it is good or overkill (for example)?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
So how do you think we need to fix the defense this offseason? - Joelist - 01-21-2024, 05:38 PM