Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2024 Bengals Free Agency/Roster Thread
(02-26-2024, 03:40 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I think we need to distinguish a bit on DTs. The guys you mention are all pass rushing DTs who typically play next to a heavier/run stopper guy who plays more like a NT. 

I know others may differ, but for me, the guys above (Jones, Madubuike, Wilkins) are all BJ Hill upgrades. Hill would then be cut to save $$$, or move down a peg into Carter's spot, and Carter wouldclikely take Tufele's, who would then be cut or moved to the PS. 

Guys like Rankins, for me, are a more natural DJ Reader replacement/Tupou upgrade. 

For me, I'd try to land 2 NT types and 1 DT pass rusher type. I would bring Reader back, pursue an elite DT FA, and try to land a stopgap NT type. If I whiff, then I likely use a Day 2 pick on one and spend my FA $$ elsewhere (RT, TE, CB, S, IOL). 

Rankins is the best Reader approximation in FA. Sweat, McKinley Jackson seem the likely Day 2 NT types. Jefferson on Day 3. 

At DT, I think L. Williams is the next best after the 3 listed. He is almost 30 and not as dynamic a pass rusher. I like Newton & Murphy a ton, but we will likely need #18 to land either. Some decent prospects Rd2-4, but I think you are probably talking depth piece initially. 

Yes, regardless we need at least 2 new DT's added, 1 a NT and 1 a 3-tech. But I am down with what you say, 2 NT's and 1 pass rusher
would be ideal. I have no faith in Carter after his patheticism last year. I would cut bait with him and keep BJ Hill and Tufele and let Tufele
compete with the new guys we bring in.

Rankins or Leonard Williams would be great in FA since it looks like all the best pass rushing 3-tech's will stay where they are most likely.

In the Draft Stackhouse is another NT type and Leonard Taylor and Ruke Orhorhoro are a couple 3-tech's we should keep our eye on.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2024 Bengals Free Agency/Roster Thread - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 02-26-2024, 04:34 PM