Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2024 Bengals Free Agency/Roster Thread
(03-03-2024, 10:11 AM)lone bengal Wrote: Agree even if the Pats don’t sign Onwenu, he’s the top FA at offensive tackle he’s gonna get some huge contract offers and I don’t think the Bengals are gonna be in that mix. Unless they think they have no chance of signing Higgins long term and can use the money towards his extension elsewhere? My gut says they’re a long ways apart. Imagine if Higgins hit the open market at 25 he’d probably end up with a top 5 contract at his position or higher which I doubt the Bengals would offer considering Chase will probably be close to one after his extension. If your Higgins agent you’d use this logic.

If he hits FA we will be all over him like white on rice. He is a better run blocker than pass blocker. But he has also graded out at 80+ at 3 different spots over his career (LG, RG, RT) in various seasons. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-free-agency-mike-onwenu-new-england-patriots-priority-2024

He'd totally open up the draft for us. We could take Bowers or Murphy/Newton if they are there. We could snag a shutdown corner, one of Arnold, Mitchell, Wiggins, or DeJuan is gonna be there at #18. We could decide to take a WR high (be it a Higgins type or Boyd replacement). The former would likely mean a trade, and another high pick and more cap space to chase FAs. Heck, we could decide to double down on OL. With Onwenu at RT, we could pick JPJ. Or play him at LG and take a tackle anyway. Weakness to strength right away. 

I will admit not being high on him when FA talk started. But I have really done a 180. The consensus on Pats Pulpit is they would be nuts to let him get away. I don't think there was any dissent at all. 

Protecting Burrow better should be the #1 goal. Weapons and interior pass rush and fixing the secondary are all important secondary goals. But for me, secondary. 

Guys, we have $44 mil in functional space. If top tier FAs hit the market at premium positions, we should be on in them. 

Now, NE was run heavy. And he is an elite run blocker and a good (not great) pass blocker from my understanding. They were playing to his strengths. Less so for us. Karras should know the guy. And we could always stick him at LG and draft a RT anyway.

Signing guys like Onwenu, Wilkins, Higgins, and Reader is what cap space is made for. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2024 Bengals Free Agency/Roster Thread - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-03-2024, 11:46 AM