Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
“Welcome to the end of democracy."
(02-23-2024, 05:03 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Fair point to Chappelle, though he seems like he went that route of being "conservative" in the sense that intentionally un PC grievances rants have become so mainstream in conservative politics. Seeing Ted Cruz and John Kennedy wipe their arses on their ivy league educations to do stand up about wokeism and liberals being crybabies is cringe.

Personally, I've never voted republican in my life but based on what makes someone conservative these days my own late teens and early 20's "what about us straight white men" grievances and zeal for taking "funny" jabs at marginalized folks and an overall feeling that society trying too hard to be nice would have made me "conservative" in a sense.  But again, it was 2001-2004 or so, so conservatives were all about war and the patriot act, so no thanks to that.

Norm MacDonald I was unaware of, only to say that I assume he wasn't all that conservative since the internet was quite broken up when he died and spoke well of him, and yes that's all I can base stuff on.  You can have Jim Brewer and whatever the hell Roseanne has become, though.

The non-comedian stuff like this topic and guy falls in to that category of:

Oh he's just kidding, he doesn't mean it, my gawd you liberals are soooo touchy.........also, if he did mean it and this did happen that'd be kinda cool notgonnalie.  As I said, just replace "end of democracy" with "threesome with your roommate" and you pretty much have my college-era "joke" book.  

I won't derail beyond this, but Norm was very well known for being a staunch Christian.  He didn't do political humor because he thought it was lazy, a cheap laugh, and also divides your audience..  Consequently most people didn't get a sense of his political leanings.  He was well loved because he was epicly funny in a totally unique way.  He also, by all accounts I have read, was a very considerate and thoughtful person.

Andy Richter used to be the butt of the joke when Norm was on Conan (Norm is on record as loving the era of talk shows where the sidekick got verbally abused).  One of the topics he kept coming back to was joking that Andy was gay.  Andy didn't like it as he took it to be meant as being gay was somehow a bad thing to be.  But he then related that his sister was backstage and ran into Norm and that Norm was the only person who sat and had a conversation with her like a normal person, and seemed genuinely interested in their discussion.  So, even though he didn't like Norm's jabs at times he respected him as a person.

It's towards the end.  I'll stop now.

As for humor in general, in order to be funny you have to be able to laugh at yourself.  You can't take yourself too seriously (see Eddie Murphy and why he stopped being funny).  Neither of those traits are traditionally conservative.  But I would apply the same label to much of the left now as well.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: “Welcome to the end of democracy." - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 02-23-2024, 05:22 PM