Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Florida cracks down on left lane squatters
my late great cousin John Nestor became a verb over left lane squatting

Nestoring:   “an absolute adherence to the rules, regardless of the larger consequences.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/opinions/1999/02/28/nestoring-revisited/798322d2-ee85-48ac-ad5b-3e6fca6dd145/

https://ghostsofdc.org/2019/04/23/what-is-nestoring/

Quote:IN THE POST'S news clipping files -- what they used to call "the morgue" in pre-computer days -- is a tidy little packet of stories about a local man named John O. Nestor. Although he had a distinguished career as a pediatrician and medical officer with the Food and Drug Administration, he is described on the file simply as "Left Lane Bandit," an appellation that stems from a letter he wrote The Post in 1984, which read as follows:

"On divided highways I drive in the left lane with my cruise control set at the speed limit of 55 miles per hour because it is usually the smoothest lane. I avoid slower traffic coming in and out from the right and I avoid resetting the cruise control with every lane change. Why should I inconvenience myself for someone who wants to speed?"

From the letters that followed in response, you might have thought the doctor was an ax murderer. His driving practices were described as "illegal," "dangerous," "arrogant" and "putative vigilantism." The man's name became a verb ("Nestoring") and the correspondence that he began nearly 15 years ago has continued to be a source of accusation and recrimination. It flares up every few years and is currently burning brightly, as you may have noticed if you follow our letters pages, which have recently been enlivened by several submissions from people who apparently would also like to have their names become verbs. The argument is as circular as the Beltway. Nestorer: I am entitled to the left lane, for which I pay taxes. Anti-Nestorer: It is illegal for slow traffic to drive in the left lane. Nestorer: It is illegal to drive at over 55 mph, which is the speed I am traveling.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Florida cracks down on left lane squatters - pally - 02-23-2024, 03:17 PM