Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Arizona Bill Would Let College Students Appeal Grades If They Allege Political Bias
(03-18-2024, 07:29 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Ask the aide, and just how many classes have you been to where there is always someone asking serious questions? Not very many, most will ask their classmates first if they aren't clear on something. 

I can understand having some as live classes, or maybe have a live Teacher on hand instead of an Aide for some of the more complex classes.

I'm a humanities guy, so I was in lots of classes where people asked serious questions, including me. 
Classes often started with "What did you think of the reading?" or "What was X trying to say?" Followed up
by questions like "Does what she says on page 10 agree with what she says on page 44? Why or why not?'
So students were asked to look at texts and social issues from different sides, and to support their take
with textual evidence. I don't see aides being much help unless they were grad students learning to teach 
themselves, and talking to smaller groups.

The sciences are different, at least in the early years; lots of memorizing. People asked questions but it
was mostly like "Could you repeat that?" 

Not disagreeing with you that this could be very appropriate for certain kinds of classes, and work as hybrid for some others.

I also saw video courses abused a lot in the military. "Canned courses" turned out to be mostly about memorization, not thinking.
People just checking boxes. The people administering them also clueless. Promotion points, not knowledge, was the goal.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Arizona Bill Would Let College Students Appeal Grades If They Allege Political Bias - Dill - 03-19-2024, 10:49 PM