Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trading Down in 1st/2nd Round
(03-26-2024, 01:27 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: He is NOT gonna be there at #49, methinks. And I think Jackson is unlikely at #80.

So you either have to reach, trade down, or live with the hole. 

I'm wondering if they are getting away from having a traditional nose tackle if this is the case. Or maybe they are confident enough with someone on the roster to fill that role. 

I don't see Sweat being there at pick 49. I give it a 5% chance. 

(03-26-2024, 01:02 PM)Whatever Wrote: Trade downs always sound great in the sims, where too good to be true type deals are common and you have standby trade proposals you know the sim will take if a certain player doesn't fall to a certain pick.

However, for practical purposes, if there's nobody you like at a pick, what makes you think another team is going to give up a bunch to move into said spot?  Need comes into play, obviously, but unless a team is desperate for a QB or completely in love with a certain prospect, it rarely happens.

As always, it depends on who's on the board and what the offer is.

As an aside, folks really need to stop hinging the success of failure of this draft on the Bengals getting or not getting Sweat.  In all likelihood, they won't draft him, and those people are just setting themselves up for hysterics when it doesn't happen.

I don't think the success of the draft hinges on drafting Sweat, but I think it would fill a large hole and certainly make our draft better than if we don't draft him. There isn't anyone else like him in the draft. Sure, we can find a day 3 NT--but we've tried that before and they never pan out.

Pick 49 is a spot I am just not very confident in us getting a good player unless we reach. It seems like there's a lot more value in the 3rd/4th rounds. In other words, it doesn't seem like there is much difference in the quality of the players from pick 49 into the 3rd round.

And then if you look at the bottom of the 1st/top of the 2nd, the value is a lot better in terms of who is there is to pick from. As soon as you get past pick 40 or so it drops off. And it could drop off much sooner than that.

So it's a question of whether you would like to get (1) good player at 18 and basically a 3rd round pick at 49. Or would you rather get two good players at 27 and 35?

I'm not saying Arizona wants to make the trade. I'd rather have their draft position if I were them. But trading down in general could be a good strategy is the players we want aren't there at 18. Who knows, we could see a player drop that doesn't fit a need of ours but it fits a need of theirs or another team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trading Down in 1st/2nd Round - Bengalstripes9 - 03-26-2024, 02:12 PM
Trading Down in 1st/2nd Round - BenZoo2 - 03-30-2024, 01:21 AM
Trading Down in 1st/2nd Round - BenZoo2 - 03-30-2024, 01:31 AM