Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Trump invited to wake of slain NYC police officer Diller
(03-31-2024, 06:09 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: We've had this discussion before.
Most people associate the term "Dr" to the medical field.

If someone is talking with their peers, ok, but when talking to the masses and not talking about your chosen field (English in this case), then it's meaning less and only used as a "i'm smarter than you cause i'm a Dr".

I must be super likable, because when people find out I have a doctorate they seem to enjoy calling me Dr. Nate, though I'd imagine the fact that I don't point it out probably helps me not come off as really wanting to shove it in people's faces. When people asked where I got it I either make a joke about sending in some box tops or say that I went to Trump University.  I also mention how stupid I must be to have to be in school for that damn long.

Confident people aren't upset about the accomplishments of others, and I don't like being called Mr. either, so honestly I just prefer informality because I feel old enough as it is when all the pretty girls call me sir, so to speak.

But again, I also grew up calling uncles and aunts by their first names and not being overly formal with titles and hung up on ages, so I think that helps in the sense that if people think you want to be called "doctor" they won't want to do it, and if people think it's a bit of a novelty or even an eye rolling "over formality" they'll make a push to do it.  I also had multiple professors in college who went by their first names and I was one of the few who'd insist on calling them Dr. _____, mostly because I was still stuck in Catholic upbringings mode.

Doctorates are like anything else; if you aren't big enough without one, you'll never be big enough with one.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump invited to wake of slain NYC police officer Diller - Nately120 - 04-01-2024, 12:07 AM