Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Louisiana High Court: Priests Have a “Property Right” Not to Be Sued For Sexual Abuse
(04-15-2024, 12:18 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: When confronted by a situation as horrible as this, especially if it is endemic, you have two choices.  One, bite the bullet, rip the diseased plant out of the soil root, stem and branch while dealing with the public fallout of both that action and the cause.  Or two, try and cover it up and hopefully it never sees the light of day.  For most people, priests or whatever profession, the allure of not having to publicly deal with any of it is far too powerful.  Of course, if you choose this option and it still subsequently sees the light of day your previous attempts at cover up make the situation exponentially worse than f you had dealt with it initially.

The Catholic Church has been a business as much, and sometimes more, than a steward of faith since the Middle Ages.  That it would conduct itself as a business in these types of situations is hardly surprising.  Please note, I'm not specifically shitting on Catholicism, I don't find them to be any worse than any other organized religion.  

I think you are correct.  Oddly, though, the church tried their damndest to continue to hope it would go away even as it became very public.  They continued to obfuscate even as the word priest became synonymous with child abuse.  

I know it's tough to believe, but I'll always feel a connection to the church.  It was a huge part of my life for 17 years.  It runs deep in the family.  I just can't rectify that I lived through watching something that was regarded by everyone I trust as a source of morality perpetrate something truly evil.  Like, raw evil in it's most disgusting form, indefensible and malignant in every conceivable way.  The response being so empty and unapologetic just hammered it home.  It's probably why I utterly despise and openly mock most forms of authority even as I approach the age of 50.  
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Louisiana High Court: Priests Have a “Property Right” Not to Be Sued For Sexual Abuse - samhain - 04-15-2024, 10:02 PM