Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dane Brugler 7 Round Mock Draft
https://theathletic.com/5418352/2024/04/17/nfl-mock-draft-2024-full-seven-rounds-dane-brugler/

For the Bengals:
1 (18). Byron Murphy II, DT, Texas
2 (49). Cooper Beebe, G, Kansas State
3 (80). Theo Johnson, TE, Penn State
3 (97). D.J. James, CB, Auburn
4 (115). T’Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas
5 (149). Anthony Gould, WR, Oregon State
6 (194). Erick All, TE, Iowa
6 (214). Giovanni Manu, OT, British Columbia (Can.)
7 (224). Sam Hartman, QB, Wake Forest
7 (237). Ryan Rehkow, P, BYU

I wouldn't hate this draft, but there were a few selections that I definitely would have made over the ones he did.

For example, Theo Johnson in the 3rd feels rich. Blake Fisher was available at that pick, and I have a hard time justifying not taking Fisher in that position. Yes, he already selected a guard, but we need a back up RT badly and Fisher fulfills that role perfectly.

DJ James is also not an ideal pick for me. He's undersized and more a fit for Nickel cornerback than outside cornerback, even by Dane's own admission. The problem is Dax Hill has been removed from safety and seems to be the NCB after this year when Hilton is a free agent and NCB is the position that Hill played the most in college and where he has shown his best play in the NFL. Drafting James in the 3rd could mean he wouldn't see any snaps until 2026 or, at worst, mid 2025 if Hill fails at NCB. That isn't an ideal use of a 3rd rounder, imo.

Brendan Rice is there at 97 and I think he would make a really good 3rd receiver who could potentially take over WR2 if Higgins leaves after this season. He's got all the things the Bengals look for. Early breakout age, 4.50 40, size (6'2" 208 lb), production (21 TD in 35 starts) and he has NFL lineage (Jerry Rice's son).

Or, if you wanted to stick with CB, Renardo Green and Nehemiah Pritchett, both of whom project as outside cornerbacks, were both available.

I like the idea of pairing Sweat and Murphy in the NFL and the 4th round feels like the point at which it's worth the risk drafting Sweat, but I wonder if the Bengals are willing to do that. They got burned by a big man with weight issues just 3 years ago in Tyler Shelvin. Would they take another problem player who also has behavioral issues in the same round? I have my doubts.

Anthony Gould is an interesting choice in the 5th. He is small (5'8" 174 lb), but very fast (4.39 40). I could see him being an Andrew Hawkins level threat in the slot. He also has punt return experience, which will be valuable with the new KO rules. He played most of his time outside in college, but I don't think his size will allow for that in the NFL though, so we'd still need to replace Tee if and when he moves on.

I like All as buying low on a talented player due to injury concerns. I wouldn't mind drafting another punter either. Manu seems like a low risk, high reward pick that late in the draft. Maybe they can stash him on the PS and let him learn how to play offensive line for a few years (He played primarily basketball, but has rare size/athleticism). I don't understand the QB pick, but it doesn't really matter that late in the draft.

What do you all think of Dane's mock draft?
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Dane Brugler 7 Round Mock Draft - CJD - 04-17-2024, 10:53 AM
RE: Dane Brugler 7 Round Mock Draft - CJD - 04-17-2024, 11:12 AM
Dane Brugler 7 Round Mock Draft - BenZoo2 - 04-17-2024, 11:22 AM
RE: Dane Brugler 7 Round Mock Draft - CJD - 04-17-2024, 11:58 AM
RE: Dane Brugler 7 Round Mock Draft - CJD - 04-17-2024, 12:07 PM