Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Remembering Cameron Hartman
(07-28-2017, 02:02 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: In the fall of 2011, my niece back in Dayton contacted me. She told me that her friend had a son who was critically sick with a rare disease. She said that the boy was absolutely nuts about the Cincinnati Bengals. Knowing that I was a Bengals fan and active in some fan groups, she asked if I could reach out to some fans and see if they could maybe send him some positive messages while he was fighting this disease. I told her I would and so I posted a thread about it on the old board ("A Bengal Fan in Need"). I knew there would be a couple of guys who would respond. But I certainly didn't expect the overwhelming support and actions from so many board members. 34 saw the thread and set it up as a "sticky", which helped get the word out. Guys stopped by the hospital to visit Cam. People gave him gifts. I seem to recall that someone set up a visit for Cam at the stadium. The people on the board came out in force and really brought a lot of joy to Cam in the short time he had left with us.

Because my niece was good friends with Cam's mother, I got to know her as well and spoke to Cam a couple of times. I got pretty involved emotionally. We all were. When he passed on January 6, 2013, I had the somber job of posting it on the old board. I cried on that day. I have tears welling up in my eyes now, even today.

But Cam's legacy isn't one of sadness. His legacy was bringing together a bunch of guys with little in common for the cause of compassion. That is us at our best and who we are. Cam lives on in that part of us.

Great stuff Zona you Rock man. Rock On
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Remembering Cameron Hartman - 34inXXIII - 06-01-2015, 12:11 PM
RE: Remembering Cameron Hartman - 34inXXIII - 06-01-2015, 12:14 PM
RE: Remembering Cameron Hartman - xxlt - 06-02-2015, 07:03 PM
RE: Remembering Cameron Hartman - bfine32 - 06-01-2015, 11:05 PM
RE: Remembering Cameron Hartman - Cure4CF - 06-05-2015, 09:27 PM
RE: Remembering Cameron Hartman - Go Cards - 08-08-2016, 01:27 PM
RE: Remembering Cameron Hartman - jason - 12-25-2017, 01:44 PM
RE: Remembering Cameron Hartman - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 07-28-2017, 02:20 PM