Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ken Griffey Jr.
(01-07-2016, 05:30 AM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: In terms of pure athletic talent I'd probably have to go with Deion Sanders, though he obviously didn't play that long for Cincy. I too remember how excited I was upon learning of Griffey's acquisition. Even though his numbers with the Reds would certainly be upper echelon compared to most, his stay there was near tragic. He definitely made the Hall based on his stint in the Emerald City.

Sanders while a good athlete was hardly the best athlete to play baseball in Cincinnati. He never hit over 300 except one season with the Braves. He could have been potentially one of the greats, but he split his time between baseball and football. Fast? Sure..but not the greatest baseball player to play with the Reds..
I'd go with Pete for overall greatest athlete to put on a Reds uniform.
Griffy was a great player as well, but his best years were definitely in Seattle.. I was actually a much bigger fan of Sr when he was with the Reds, but then again I was a kid and had his autograph on my glove. At 14 or however old I was at the time having your favorite player's sig on your glove was the nirvana of being a fan and kid.. That glove is still out there somewhere. I think the last I saw it my son had it, but the ink was completely worn off by then..
I just got to thinking of how great it was to have an old glove so soft and worn that just about any ball to touch it would stick to the pocket with that nice loud POP! At my age now it would probably break every bone in my hand to catch a fastball with it being how thin the padding became over the years.. There are just some memories that never leave like having the old glove and knowing that the ball wasn't going to pop out like it does with a newer glove.. I don't even know what a glove like that would cost today..back then it was probably like $8 or something.. What do real leather gloves go for these days?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Ken Griffey Jr. - fredtoast - 01-07-2016, 04:08 AM
RE: Ken Griffey Jr. - ElkValleyBengal - 01-07-2016, 05:30 AM
RE: Ken Griffey Jr. - grampahol - 02-07-2016, 04:34 PM
RE: Ken Griffey Jr. - Goalpost - 01-07-2016, 09:09 AM
RE: Ken Griffey Jr. - jason - 01-07-2016, 10:10 AM
RE: Ken Griffey Jr. - fredtoast - 01-07-2016, 11:10 AM
RE: Ken Griffey Jr. - Hoofhearted - 01-07-2016, 10:30 PM
RE: Ken Griffey Jr. - McC - 01-07-2016, 10:25 AM
RE: Ken Griffey Jr. - RoyleRedlegs - 01-07-2016, 03:51 PM