Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
List of QBs with most passing yards in first four seasons.
(06-17-2015, 08:21 PM)Rhinocero23 Wrote: As djs 7685 pointed out  It is just much harder to collect the data if you are using the record of the teams at that exact point. So the easy thing to do is take the end of year record. There are too many reasons to point out why it is more telling to use records of when the game was played and why this makes sense. 

I will try to make it simple...in your methodology KC (who destroyed) the Pat's last year on MNF should feel that are a better team than the Super Bowl champs. News flash KC was not even in the Playoff's. They can lie to themselves and say "we can beat them on most Sunday's" and they would be doing just that...lying to themselves. The Pat's team that got smoked on MNF was not the same team that made a run to the Superbowl and won it. The team mindset changed, or they were sprinkled with pixie dust, ot they deflated balls, hell I don't know but I do know that they were not the same caliber team.

Point being teams change, the method I use is beneficial on both ends of the argument (making it fair). The flip side of the example above is  say your team beats a 5-0 team in week six. The QB goes out in week 7 and they end up 7-9. Should your team not be credited with betting and undefeated winning team? You know how the Pro- Andy crowd would side if that were the case with him. 

To the point about not using the tie as a win. I specifically said WON the game. I already build in fluff for the Pro-Andy argument by saying teams 500 and above. That means the shitty Browns team that we opened up with was credited as beating a team with a 500 or better record. You want to stack the deck so badly it has to be embarrassing to even the most fanatic Dalton fan.

Using what the teams record when we play them rather than using their final record has a lot more downside than it does upside. Every team in the NFL has stretches of games where they play bad teams, and stretches where they play good teams. The end result of the season shows a much more accurate gauge on how good the team was. When the Chiefs beat the Patriots the Patriots had a record above .500 too, so what was your point there? Do you not count that as a win for the Chiefs just because they didn't go to the playoffs? If you want to go by that then Dalton was 7-5-1 vs teams with a .500 or better last year, He was 6-1 against teams .500 or better in 2013, in 2012 he was 4-3 against teams that were .500 or better, and in 2011 he was 3-5 against .500 teams or better (all 4 years according to YOUR way). So the grand total would be 20-14-1 against teams that was .500 or better the way you want to add it all up. So what were you saying?

Also ties count as .5 wins. That's how they count it in the NFL. Why try to count something different than what the NFL does?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: List of QBs with most passing yards in first four seasons. - Brownshoe - 06-17-2015, 10:47 PM