Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eifert under contract for one more season
I'm fine with waiting to extend Eifert because he still has some time on his contract. There shouldn't be any rush, yet. My problem is with people who try to tear Eifert down and refuse to look at his career with some context. Eifert wasn't really able to show off his true potential til 2015.

He was a rookie in 2013 and rookie TE's usually have the biggest learning curve of any non-QB position. Just look at all the rookie TE's who fail to make any impact whatsoever. Eifert's 445 yards as a rookie were more impressive when you consider that he was a rookie and he wasn't getting as many snaps as the more experienced Gresham. So using Eifert's career snap % against him is silly when you look at things with a little context. We were slowly working in Eifert in '13, and obviously he was injured last year.

Eifert's 2015 numbers would've averaged out to 757 yards and 16 TDs had he played the entire season, and even though those are impressive numbers, the numbers don't tell the whole story. Anyone who watched our offense last year should've noticed the impact Eifert had on this offense. There is no comparison between '15 Eifert and '13 Marvin Jones. Even back then I always argued that Jones' season was a fluke. He had an Al Bundy-type game against the Jets (4 TDs). He disappeared a lot. Eifert was a consistent presence this year and constantly had to be accounted for. He's a beast at his position and he'd have even better numbers on a team with fewer weapons.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Eifert under contract for one more season - Shake n Blake - 01-30-2016, 04:32 PM