Poll: Who deserves Hall of Fame first
Parrisd
Riley
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old school debate......Ken Riley or Lemar Parrish
Which CB deserves to get in the NFL Hall of Fame first?

KEN RILEY.....15 yrs ('69-'83).  All with Bengals.  First Team All Pro '83.  .  .  Finished top 10 in interceptions 4 times.  Career high 9 in '76 (2nd in league).  Career total 65 ranks 5th all-time. String of 15 consecutive seasons with an interception is also 5th all-time.5 interception return tds (28th all time).  .  .  Finished top 10 (AFL) in kick off return average in '69.  .  .  .  ProFootballReference 2nd team '70's All Decade team.  .  .  Incredibly durable athlete.  Played in every game in 10 of his first 13 seasons missing a total of only 6 games in that span.  His career high in interceptions and his only All Pro selection came in '83 at age 36.

LEMAR PARRISH.....13 yrs ('70-'82)  First 8 with Bengals.  8 time Pro Bowl (6 with Bengals).  1 time All Pro ('79 Redskins).  .  .  .  Top 10 in interception 3 times.  Career high 9 in '79 (2nd in league).  Career total 47 (47th rank). 4 interception return tds.  .  .  .  Finished in top 10 punt return average twice including league leading 18.8 avg in '74 (still the highest single season average since the AFL/NFL merger).  .  .    Finished third in kick off return average in '70 (30.1).  .  .  .  Broke Ken Houston's record for career return tds with his 13th in 1977.  Held the record for 20 years until Deion Sanders broke it in '97.  Still ranks 5th all-time.  .  .  .  ProFootballReference picked him as their First Team CB on the 1970's All Decade Team.  .  .  .  Got into some drug trouble after he retired and it seemed like the NFL unofficially black balled him.  You never hear him mentioned among the All-time greats.

During the 8 years that Parrish and Riley started for the Bengals ('70-'77) they only had a losing record one time.  They made the playoffs three times (when only 8 teams went) and missed the playoffs in '76 despite going 10-4.  The overall defense waas top 10 in 5 of those 8 years and in the five years from '72-'76 the Bengals ranked top 4 in pass defense 4 times.

I honestly think that the main reason Riley did not get more attention was that Parrish was more flashy and made more big plays.  I remember watching them play as I was growing up, but I have no idea which one was better in coverage.  I mainly remember announcers always talking about how good they were as a tandem.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Old school debate......Ken Riley or Lemar Parrish - fredtoast - 02-07-2016, 01:51 PM