Poll: Do you want more posts like this?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bodine: Where he needs to improve in year 2
(06-07-2015, 10:00 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Overall this is another area I have concern about long-term ability to really improve. Where he struggles here is similar to how he struggled blocking guys in the 1/0 gaps. He loses the hand battle, loses leverage and doesn't have enough behind him to stone it. Tight in the hips and late to the party. As with the 1/0 blocking, when teams start doing this, the coaches need to find ways to minimize the effect these have on the game, and for the most part they did. Quick passes and RBs picking up what's not blocked. It isn't perfect and can limit the offense.

In the end, can Bodine find a way to transform himself as a player? I don't know, I'm not overly optimistic. Too often you see defenders get off his blocks with too much ease and get in on a play.
Here you clearly pointed to his hands and hips as the issue. You did not bring up footwork.
(06-08-2015, 11:19 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Rookie mistakes are things like missing a snap count, false starts or general brain farts.  Bodine's problems extend beyond rookie mistakes. Players rarely change with their hands, you can fix things like bad footwork, false steps, base too wide etc...but the problem with hands is that they are more connected to the attitude. The big punch off the snap, quick inside hands. Bodine's short arms and lack of punch make it very difficult for him to win positioning

Thanks. 
Once again you talk about Bodines hands as a problem that can not be fixed, then you go on to say things that can be fixed and in effect improve a player. Hands were not on your list as improvable, so you are saying Bodine can not improve. So yes you did say it, maybe you dont realize you said it but you did say it.....Which is why I asked you if you wanted to clean it up.

(06-09-2015, 06:27 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Disagree.
You cannot take a guy who gets wide in his hands and turn him into a puncher on the inside. 
You can coach tweaks in hand placement. You can't change how a guy gets his hands on a defender.

Bodine often ends up with his hands outside the frame because he's slow to the punch and doesn't have the length to battle back inside when the defender extends. 
That's a physical limitation not a technique one. 

Feet are easier to fix than hands. Hands are more instinctive. 

I do agree about where the hands SHOULD be. Problem is, Bodine doesn't get his hands there quickly enough (slow/wide punch) and he doesn't have the length to recover. 
Again you point to feet as fixable, but this time you make the ability to put hands in a certain place a rare skill set as opposed to a teachable technique.
(06-10-2015, 05:04 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: No, you just made random conclusions and said that's what I said. That's why I said you were mad. 

You harped on things I never actually said. 

The problem is you made a list of things that are fixable for a rookie to improve. None of the things on your list are a problem you had with Bodine. Then you go on to say hands are his problem, and that according to you, arent improvable.....You are saying he cant improve.... Confused

I made no random conclusions this is all what you typed, and once again the reason I disagreed with you. You have yet to put a source up that saids anything to support what you have typed. Just because you say does not make it true. 

And I am not angry just simply disagreeing with what you said.
"The Power of life and death is in the tongue"
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bodine: Where he needs to improve in year 2 - CincyProduct - 06-11-2015, 10:09 AM