Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Just come on, catch me. Try to catch me"
(05-13-2016, 03:29 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: ALL OF THEM, but I meant Core  ThumbsUp

It's amazing that we've actually become a model for good drafting.  Even if I'm initially like "what the ****" on a pick, now I can look into it and be like "wow.......  that'a a great pick!"

I think he'll do more than just stick and be a contributor.

I dunno...I think most of the WTF picks are still pretty WTF now.

Hunt, Clarke, Bodine, Moch, Sands, Gresham (because of who else was on the board), Coffman, Shirley, Simpson, Irons, White, Nicholson, McNeal.

Basically, the only pick I can think of that made me say WTF that has turned around is Andy Dalton. Add Hill as a maybe to that list, but only because the RB out of OSU was also available and Hill had character issues. Plus, he still has some work to do to prove his rookie year wasn't a fluke.

We've had some really good drafts, but the picks that I've been most impressed with have been the picks of the falling prospects and turning them into good players. Examples include Thompson, Marvin Jones, Iloka, McCarron, Burkhead, Eifert, Sanu, Boling, Dunlap, A Smith, Maualuga, Michael Johnson, Collins, Hall, Whitworth and Henry.

These players all had the talent to go at least 1 round before they did (in some cases, like Jones, 2 to 3 rounds), except for Eifert and Smith, who had the potential to go 5 to 10 spots higher than they did in the first. 

Then there's potential with Dennard, Fisher, Dawson, Shaw, Hardison, Smith, Alford, Billings and Westerman, all of whom fell at least 1 to 2 rounds from their projections, except for Dennard who had the potential to go 10 to 15 picks higher than he did.

Obviously they have had busts on the falling prospects as well, such as Still, Charles, Ghee and Luigs. So they aren't infallible in that regard, but for the most part those picks work out.

The jury is still out on Hunt, Clarke and Bodine, but the gold in the Bengals' drafts is not in the lesser known prospects or supposed reaches, per the pre-draft consensus. It's in the extremely well known prospects that they got a round or more later than they were projected to go.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Just come on, catch me. Try to catch me" - CJD - 05-16-2016, 01:46 PM