Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More than just a cliché, the locker-room impact of veterans
So like many of us here, I have been digesting the news of Shawn Williams' contract extension. I've been reading articles, watching videos, etc, standard offseason routine. On the Bengals website there is a brief interview with Shawn, reacting with reporters on his payday. As is usually the case, a pretty bland back and forth with stock questions and responses. That is until one reporter asked 'who was your first call' (once the extension was agreed). What I found eye opening, is that Williams revealed that one of the first calls he made was to Terrence Newman. He mentioned how Newman had always been there through his NFL career so far and he is thankful to still be able to have a good relationship with him.

This really struck a chord with me and got me thinking. The whole journalistic style around the NFL has become so robotic and largely sterile. Churned out are articles ranking performances and attributes, top ten this, top 100 that. Players are graded like household appliances, 'very powerful but lacks endurance'. What is so often lost is the appreciation and reporting of life's nuances and subtleties (something I think Jim Owczarski actually does do very well). In 2011 the Eagles went all out in FA, signing the likes of Jason Babin, Nnamdi Asomugha, Ronnie Brown, Vince Young, Evan Mathis and Cullen Jenkins. The media (and Young) quickly anointed it a dream team. That many experienced stars on one team, no way they don't go deep into the playoffs right? Well as I'm sure most will remember, they went 8-8 missing out on the playoffs entirely.

So where am I going with all this? Well of late this, and the previous board, have been critical of the way in which the Bengals organisation have brought in and retained aging players. There was at the time a lot of opposition to Newman coming in, last season keeping Hall was largely criticised, Dhani Jones and Maualuga have faced a lot of online wrath and every year Peko gets his fair share of hate. However since about 2012 the way this team has drafted has been widely met with support, and quite rightly too. People have loved the way FO of late seems to be able to come away with steals, acquiring major talent that for some reason has slid down the rounds. Players such as Dunlap and Burfict are proving it can be a recipe for success. I think what Shawn Williams' comment about Newman highlighted to me, is quite what the Bengals have been able to build over the last few seasons. When the team signs a player like Dansby, Harrison or Hawk, yes first and foremost it is with the ambition of helping on-field performance. I truly believe however that also a strong consideration, is how these veterans will be able to knit together a team of talented, but ultimately inexperienced players. For 5 straight seasons this team has been able to get to the playoffs. Now of course they haven't been able to get over the hump; but the fact that are able to keep coming back shows to me the resilience that has been created within the team. A large part of that has to be the culture that has been created in the locker room. The younger players are been well guided by vets and being supported not just professionally, but clearly emotionally too. So while we write threads about 'washed up' players, keep in mind the impact these experienced professionals can have on the team as a whole. Cohesiveness should not be overlooked.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
More than just a cliché, the locker-room impact of veterans - BritishBengal - 05-18-2016, 03:56 PM