Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Pete Rose Thread
First, in many ways I am a Pete Rose Fan. I saw Pete Rose in person from 1966 and on a lot in Cincy. I saw him play 2nd, all outfield positions, 3rd, 1st and manager.....So when he was a hit away from Ty Cobb, I was the one who painted the big banner of Pete Rose that hung in right field. ( I'm a pretty good painter, sometimes ). I nailed that huge bed sheet up and copied Pete Rose on the Reds Yearbook that year. The people at the gate and ushers questioned me bringing it in until they saw it, and said go on in. I started off 3rd base but the winds forced me to move it to left field. No hit so I came back the next night, no hit. I could not come back a third straight night from Dayton, and so it was not there when he got the hit. ....So you could say I'm a Pete Rose Fan. I was there the night of the 1970 tornado and the city kept people in Crosley Field because it was safer than everybody leaving on the highway. Long, long rain delay. Then long after midnight game looked like extra innings and all fans at the park hated it. Bottom of the 9th, Peter Rose, as if say. Lets Get This Over, hit a deep home run to right center. It was great and so was 1970 All-Star Game and World Series Wins. I was there when he got the awards for the 1968 and 1969 batting championship. I was there in 1983 when as a he singled, stole 2nd, stole 3rd and stole home against the Reds on Farmers Night. ( a great night of Pete, Joe and Tony as Phillies and Bench winning the game in 9th with a walk off gapper.

My being a Pete Rose Fan aside.....his mistake is the same as President Nixon.....The Cover Up only made it worse.....In Pete's case, decades of cover up....Pete said he didn't for decades and then said he did. That means he lied to Joe Nuxhall. Pete lied to Joe Nuxhall and Marty....That really is the sad part. All the people that were trying to take Pete's side in this. Johnny Bench said it best when asked about Pete years ago. Bench said, " It says in every dugout and locker room from the minors to the majors, no gambling. You see those signs every game. Everybody see's it, I saw those signs and Pete saw those signs. You can't say he didn't know the rules ". ....but Pete had his chance to come clean in 1988. He now blames his lawyer and the Commish dying because he thought it was a 1 year suspension, when the Commish sat there and said Lifetime Ban, and Pete signed that. Where in the heck was Pete getting 1 year out of the words Lifetime. ....But then Pete lied to Joe and Marty for decades and that is as bad or worse than the gambling, the Nixon like cover-up. Pete had a chance to address this on TV just lately, and again he covered-up saying he is waiting to talk to the new Commish.

Now I don't compare Pete to the 1919 White Sox throwing the World Series and taking a dive. Nobody has ever shown Pete bet on a team he was with to lose. ( not that that isn't coming, nothing would surprise me now due to Pete's cover-up ). There were players on other teams in 1919 that got suspended for gambling but played again and some are in Hall Of Fame. ....but the never ending soap opera that is Pete Rose is Pete's fault. He is the one that gambled and lied about it from 1988 up to around 2005 and is still covering up to this day as he lives in Las Vegas, gambling center of the USA.

I hope as always that if Pete is never in the MLB Hall Of Fame, that MLB lets Cincinnati retire his number and make a statue and put Pete in the Cincinnati Hall of Fame. States rights and Ohio is not Cooperstown New York. Plus, this would ease the fans pain, go the distance, ease their pain. Let him in the Cincy Hall of Fame. .......but I am very tired of the decades of Pete cover-up. I stood up for Pete against his critics for decades, only to find out I was wrong, Pete had lied to me....and he lied to Joe and Marty and I just can't accept that. I understand denial, but I think sometimes Pete thinks he is being slick like a con artist. I have a relative that is a con artist all his life and thinks he is slick, but really, all he does, is burn his bridges. After you have spent years burning friends and relatives and burning bridges, don't expect me to cry when you are all alone when down and out. You would only burn one more helping hand, it's in your nature now. ......More than the gambling, I hate The Nixon like, Pete Rose Cover-Ups.....sadly, he was one of the best players I ever saw and played in more winning games than anybody ever. ...If he would just come clean before he dies, please Pete, stop the Nixon like cover-up. Do it for the Reds fans, don't go to your grave lying and trying to be slick. If you bet on baseball, be a man and say so, The Truth Will Set You Free as you head to Judgement Day at your age. The truth is going to make you feel real good Pete, I promise you. Quit carrying the never ending lies on your back.....and hopefully in the end, if not Cooperstown, a statue in Cincinnati of Amazing Grace, who was lost but now he's found. The Cincy Pete Rose statue...but you have to come clean Pete, you have to come clean.

PS add on : I just saw a Johnny Bench interview before All-Star Game on YouTube. When asked about Pete, Bench said Pete has had his chances and it's time Pete steps up and changes, no more hidden surprises. Bench said if Pete can play 2nd, right, center, left, third and 1st, then he shows he knows how to change and adjust when he wants to. Bench said Pete needs to apply the same 110 % he gave to playing baseball to coming clean and telling the truth now, no more hidden surprises, no more gambling secrets. ......Now Pete in an interview hedged around as always, but did say he will tell the new Commish everything. Pete better because this ' poor, poor me ' routine of his layered in lies is over 25 years old and most people are just sick of hearing him pity party and side step. Don't be a cry baby Pete, the farmer in Urbana or the factory worker in Cincinnati has his own problems. Step up and tell the Commish the WHOLE TRUTH. Pete says he hopes he gets to talk about 2015 and not the 1980's and again he is in denial. The new Commish is going to want Pete to finally purge himself and come clean on his playing and manager years, not hear about his kids or how he likes Subway food in 2015. Pete better go in there and end the 26 year cover-up and let it all out. It is way past time. If the new Commish talks to Pete Edward Rose and says he was very disappointed in the meeting and he expected more of Mr Rose, then I will be about done carrying if Mr Rose ever gets any more anything, because I myself have my own life to live...It's all up to Pete now, he can finally tell it all to the Commish or forever cry and whine. I saw on TV that Jack Parr walked off the Tonight Show after censored but then asked Jonathan Winters about coming back. Winters said if you come back Jack, don't cry and be a baby about it. The guy working in Detroit doesn't want to hear that. This then can be applied to Mr Rose and his hidden gambling secrets.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
The Pete Rose Thread - yellowxdiscipline - 06-23-2015, 08:57 AM
RE: The Pete Rose Thread - Wyche'sWarrior - 06-23-2015, 09:24 AM
RE: The Pete Rose Thread - xxlt - 06-23-2015, 10:05 AM
RE: The Pete Rose Thread - Tiger Teeth - 06-23-2015, 10:05 AM
RE: The Pete Rose Thread - McC - 06-23-2015, 10:26 PM
RE: The Pete Rose Thread - Stewy - 06-23-2015, 10:35 PM
RE: The Pete Rose Thread - Bengalzona - 06-24-2015, 12:29 AM
RE: The Pete Rose Thread - Johnny Cupcakes - 06-23-2015, 10:32 AM
RE: The Pete Rose Thread - Bengalzona - 06-23-2015, 11:11 AM