Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For all who wish we kept Brown over Nugent...
(08-20-2016, 03:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: My overall message is that I wish we had a better kicker, but I am not going to call for him to be cut because any other kicker off the street would be better.

My criticism is aimed at the people who claim that Nugent is the only kicker in the league who misses enough FGs to make them feel "uncomfortable" every time he kicks when in fact there are very few kickers in the league who are a lot better than Nugent.  there were 157 missed FGs in the NFL last year and Nugent only had 5 of them.  So these people are going to feel uncomfortable no matter who we have kicking.  

Nuge missed 5 of 28 attempts last year.  The elite kickers who make 90% of their kicks are still going to miss 3.  So i don't see how 2 more made FGs over a 16 game schedule are really going to make all these nuge-haters feel that much more comfortable.

Plus there are guys out there like

the Cards

Chandler Catanzaro who hit over 90% of his FGs but missed 5 extra points, and the Seahawks Steven Hauschka who also hit over 90% of his FGs but missed 4 extra points.

The idea that there are a bunch of kickers out there who hit every FG and every XP is just ridiculous.  

No one said that ANY kicker off the street would be better than Nuge. That's just you putting words in people's mouths. Fact is, in today's NFL where kickers are so accurate, 2 extra missed kicks per year can get kickers fired and cost your team a game or 2.

Fwiw, Shayne Graham "only" missed 5 FGs in 2009 regular season.  Do we want to repeat history?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: For all who wish we kept Brown over Nugent... - Shake n Blake - 08-20-2016, 03:35 PM