Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ann Patchett and cutting the cord even more
Some of the happiest years in my life I lived in dorm rooms without a television. There were televisions in the common rooms, but I rarely watched them. And, I rarely missed TV.

It has been an off and on love affair for me. As a kid with only 3, then 4 channels, I watched a ton of TV. Then as a teen, I spent far more time out and about alone or with friends. Didn't miss TV much when out, but would reflexively turn it on when home.

I remember going to hotels as a young adult and being excited to see what cable had to watch, since I felt like the only person in America without cable. It was thrilling for awhile, but eventually I was like, why the **** would anyone pay for this shit? Like most communities, ours had a cable monopoly and a shitty service rep. I held fast.

I always loved the Simpsons, and Seinfeld. For 20+ years I watched little more than those 2 shows, and sports at home on TV.

A friend finally sold me on Direct TV. For a few years I loved it. Then a woman I lived with insisted we get a DVR. I loved it even more. Eventually I came back around to the Boss' attitude: 57 channels and nothin' on. I dropped Direct TV for awhile. I was living alone and kind of depressed, and everyone told me TV was a necessity and maybe it would help. I got DirectTV again and it helped until it didn't. Finally I decided once and for all that paying for TV made sense if you owned a bar or hotel, but not for a home owner unless maybe he/she was a shut it. Even then, not sure. So, I cut the cord, as the saying was at the time. I did get a Netflix account and an outside antenna.

A few weeks ago I quit paying for Netflix. I haven't really missed it. I go to a bar to watch the Bengals games. I bought the biggest TV I have ever owned about 10 years ago. I still have it. It is a Vizio plasma. It still gets a great picture with the aerial antenna. I just don't turn it on much. Colbert a few times last week when I was up at night. But, I could watch those online a day or so later, right?

Ann Patchett (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_Patchett) is this writer I got turned on to in graduate school. She was on Fresh Air the other day, and she talked about how not only does she not own a TV, she never watches one. Ever. And she doesn't have a cell phone, doesn't do social media, and doesn't even go to movies.

It really made me think about "screens" as she described being "screen free" and whether I want a TV.

I have been thinking about giving my TV away for a long time. I guess I could sell it but don't think a ten year old plasma that weighs a metric ton would fetch much. Ann has me really thinking about it. I like my music, a smidge of NPR news, I scan the NY Times headlines (used to subscribe but don't any more) and just don't watch much TV. I think two of my sisters do not own televisions, but not sure. Anyway, bitches be crazy, especially my sisters (kidding sisters, if you are reading this). I know how they feel about TV. I want some outside perspectives.

Anyway, anybody here that does not own a TV? Tell me about it. Anybody with a compelling reason I should keep my TV? Or get rid of it? Tell me about it.

Thanks for your feedback.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Ann Patchett and cutting the cord even more - xxlt - 09-16-2016, 05:54 PM