Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eugenio Suarez could be real deal at SS
Last year when the Reds called up Kristopher Negron I was really impressed with his ,271 average and .479 slugging percentage. Then I looked up his stats and found out he was a 28 year old career minor league player with a .267 BA and .405 slugging percentage at the AAA level. I realized his production last year with the Reds was just a fluke. Sure enough he has hit only ,141 with the Reds this year.

This year the Reds have called up Eugenio Suarez (obtained from Detroit in the Alfredo Simon trade) to play shortstop after Cozart was injured. He has been killing it with the Reds hitting .316 with a .361 on base percentage. However, unlike Negron, Suarez looks like he could be the real deal. I don't expect him to hit .316 for the season, but he is still just 23 years old and has put up very good offensive numbers for a shortstop in the minors. Over the last two seasons he has 401 ABs in the minor leagues (246 at AAA, 155 at AA). He has hit a combines .272 with a .474 slugging percentage, 27 doubles, and 14 HR. He has also drawn 47 BB, drove in 61 runs and scored 62. Projected over a full season (600 AB) that would project to 41 doubles, 21 HR, 71 BB, 92 runs and 93 RBI.

I have always been a big supporter of Cozart. He is a much better offensive player than a lot of people give him credit for, and he is a great defensive shortstop. However if Suarez continues to hit and can play decent defense we may be able to trade one of them for some other position of need.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Eugenio Suarez could be real deal at SS - fredtoast - 06-30-2015, 03:31 AM