Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My realistic best-case scenario for improving the roster
When I say realistic, I'm taking into account how the Bengals do things. I'm not going to forecast them signing Bell and Berry in free agency.

1 ) We draft 2 starters in the draft. (Typically we don't draft any Day 1 starters so this is a big improvement.) I'll say we add Rueben Foster and a starting C that is an upgrade to Bodine.

2 ) We keep Zeitler and Whitworth and leave Kirkpatrick leave. The salary cap keeps rising and Whitworth will only be here 1 or 2 more years so it's doable. (Offensive line is Whitworth, Boling, Zeitler, Drafted C, Fisher.)

3 ) Maualuga is waived.

4 ) Jackson and Vigil become starters. Billings becomes a solid rotation player at DT. (Linebackers are Vigil, Foster, and Burfict.)

5 ) We add a guy in the 2nd Round with the pick obtained at #7 that can pass rush from the DE spot. He's not a starter Year 1, but a situational rusher.

6 ) Sign Stephon Gilmore or Prince Amakumara to be a starting CB. (Amakumara signed a 1 year $5.5 million deal with the Jaguars. We paid Kirkpatrick around $7.5 million...so it's doable.) I like Ross Cockrell from the Steelers also.

7 ) Trade McCarron for a 2nd and 4th Round pick.

8 ) Retain Lafell and Burkhead. Rely on Boyd and Core to continue development at WR. Let Burkhead, Hill, and Bernard compete for snaps. Ideally the offensive line is improved with a Center.

9 ) Draft a QB that you can develop somewhere in the 3rd to 5th Round.

10 ) Draft a kicker. Hold a competition in camp to see who can win the job.

11 ) Sign Nick Fairley. He has signed back to back 1 year deals...and has played well. Offer him a 2-3 year deal. We'd then pair Fairley with Atkins with Billings, Thompson, and Sims as the backups.

12 ) Bring in a veteran TE like Vernon Davis. I feel like our offense needs more experience at backup at that position.

13 ) Bring in a coverage safety like DJ Swearinger to compete with Williams at S. On some downs, move Williams down like a LB to add speed to the defense.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
My realistic best-case scenario for improving the roster - THE PISTONS - 01-27-2017, 02:52 PM