Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In All Fairness To Cincinnati....
Let's make it really ancient and if a player didn't have a 400 batting average we could have them fight with hungry lions or whipped to death.. 
My grandfather played for years in semipro leagues so by the time I was old enough to listen his stories he was describing playing with the likes of Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth back in the days of barnstorming. Pete Rose was still just a wippersnapper to grandpa, but grampa was a catcher so JB was big news for him.  One thing never changes. He hated umpires and there was no such thing as protective gear such a helmets or shin guards. I'm kind of surprised my grandfather still had legs at 70 years old. They were REALLY scared up to the point that they didn't really resemble actual legs.  Those scars were badges of courage to him. He would have played for free and actually did... forget a million dollar contract. 
Some of you act AS IF you're the ones having to pay out these astronomical salaries and should have a say so in negotiations.. Now we have players hitting 220 or with ERAs of over 500 and paid more than super stars of just a few years ago.  
As far as Phillips goes more than a few people were screaming to trade him at any cost and now that he's traded you want to whine about not getting a kings ransom for his services..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
In All Fairness To Cincinnati.... - kevin - 02-03-2017, 10:33 PM
RE: In All Fairness To Cincinnati.... - grampahol - 02-21-2017, 12:03 PM