Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If You Had 1st Pick in 2017 Fantasy League Draft ?
(02-10-2017, 07:02 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Football would be David Johnson.  Hands down.

Baseball. I don't know.  I don't play fantasy baseball, but I would probably think you couldn't do much worse than Kris Bryant. 

Bryan is great....The thing about baseball is....so many points from good pitching....I mean IF you have a great pitching staff such as last years Cubs or Dodgers, you don't have many off days. Over the week that staff will give you Mega Points.  You won't have to switch staffs and look at who pitches which week as the smucks with so so staffs. It makes it so much easier just to have a great staff over the course of the season. Here is where fan loyalty would kill me if I picked the Reds pitching. I would be doomed all season. ....but after getting pitching, sure, Bryant is great.  A lot of points for position he plays.  Yes, after the top pitching staffs are gone, and if you got shafted on pitching, by all means load up on the guys that put up runs and RBI's and homers and hits.  Those guys are points.  You need at least one Star and if you can get 2 or 3 even better.  If I pick late and the good pitching teams are gone, I'll go right to hitters and hope over the season somebody drops a pitching staff into free agency. It happens. People actually drop good staffs. Not last years Dodgers or Cubs, but last years Indians were available so I grabbed them off free agency and glad I did. So if the league is say 12 teams, that leaves a lot of pitching staffs. If I draft early I'm taking Dodgers or some great pitching, but if I draft late, yes, I'm looking at the people like Bryant in round one because there will be pitching staffs out there.  Now on the lesser staffs, you really have to carry about 3 staffs and less bench hitters.  You have to look at who your staffs play each week and how many off days and pick one to man up with others who have one great pitching staff.  If I could get the Dodgers, Cubs or Nationals in the draft, it would just make the 6 month season easier on me. 

Those off days kill you. Your team is against another team for the week. Your players have 20 off days combined and his team has no off days. That's worst case. Your odds of beating him way down. A player only playing 6 days, no big deal. A player only playing 5 days is. A pitching staff with a 5 game week is bad, unless you have Dodgers or somebody. 7 games is great but that doesn't mean manager doesn't give him a day off. 6 day week is OK. Players with a 5 day week can hurt you. If they are not that good, you need to sub. You do have to manage your line-ups for each week and make player moves. Injuries and off seasons and look for hot players. If a free agent is just ripping the cover off the ball, you need to add him. Some real good young players nobody has heard of. It makes the season interesting.

More interesting is the free contest you can win a Million Dollars. You have to have batters beat DiMaggio's hit streak. You can change batters each day, take days off, just don't pick a guy that goes without a hit. No fan has done it yet. For a Million Dollars, sure, I'll try it again this year. I think I got around 20 games in a row last year. Not bad, but not close to Joe. I tried finding the Pete Rose types in games against pitchers they have a history of hitting against. Still, sometimes managers bench them or pitcher walks them and in the end they get that one at bat for an out that stops your streak. Houston has a Pete Rose type. Boston has a couple. Still, the trick is finding which lousy pitchers are pitching each day and which hitter on opposing team owns them. To me, that's best way to beat the streak. For a Million Bucks, sure, I'll try it again. Who can't use a Million Bucks.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: If You Had 1st Pick in 2017 Fantasy League Draft ? - kevin - 02-10-2017, 08:22 PM