Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobson - only $15 million of cap to work with?
(02-28-2017, 04:05 PM)Au165 Wrote: I agree, but this was more of a string of discussion with someone else in this thread who claims he doesn't believe they offered him the same money. So if they don't believe he did then it is fair to say they didn't for a reason and did well in not retaining him . Not really directed at your or the idea that they necessarily wanted to move on without him (reports have said otherwise), more of saying you can't hate them for both.

Hobson reported the Bengals offered Joseph the same deal he accepted in Houston, but according to Joseph Houston offered him more guaranteed money.  When one team offers more guaranteed money than another team; both offers aren't the same.  They're different.

So why should I believe the Bengals when I've already heard the same false BS before?  This is what Hobson reported:

Quote:Initial reports had the Jones deal at $8 million per year, a number that the Bengals believed to be comfortable with and were in range with it. But they couldn’t offer him the same amount of chances as a potential No. 1 target now teamed with Golden Tate and not Green and Eifert. They were so in sync with the numbers that they thought they were close to a deal Tuesday night.

According to NFL Network, the deal is for $40 million, $17 million guaranteed and a $9 million average in the first three years. That's a page out of the Bengals book, which typically front loads money and has declining salaries on the back end

Hobson didn't report what the Bengals offered in the form of guaranteed money.  Guaranteed money is, in general, the most important factor with any NFL contract.  Because a NFL player can be released or sustain a career ending injury and they will never see the remaining money contained in their contract.

If you believe they offered him the same money, I would like to see an apples to apples comparison which includes the amount of guaranteed money the Bengals offered rather than an estimate of the average yearly salary which doesn't include anything about the guaranteed money.  When I'm able to compare and the offer is in fact the same, then I will believe.  But, from what Hobson reported there is no evidence the offer is the same because he (deliberately) left out important information to determine Jones did, in fact, turn down the same offer or an offer that included less guaranteed money.

If you have a $40 million, $17 million guaranteed, $9 million average in first three years and a $40 million, $20 million guaranteed, $9million average in the first three years, I'm taking the contract that guarantees me an extra $3 million.  Total money is the same, but a $3 million difference in guaranteed money is a significant difference.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hobson - only $15 million of cap to work with? - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 02-28-2017, 04:33 PM