Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobson - only $15 million of cap to work with?
(02-28-2017, 11:21 AM)Au165 Wrote: I intially had an issue with it too, but after thinking about it more I can find the math. I am going to back into the math here, and honestly it does make sense if you are looking to the future. The issue is it doesn't take into account letting guys go on expiring deals and such.

I think we will need around 9 million in cap for our draft picks when taking comp picks into account. That moves us down to roughly 35 Million in cap. Assume we are pulling out our pool for resigning Eiffert and Burfict next year, you can conservatively assume they will combine for 17 Million. This takes us down to around 18 Million in cap and the difference may be them pulling out money for UDFA and such along with their "injury" pool.

I think the big discrepancy is they are all ready earmarking funds for Burfict and Eiffert which they should, but Fans don't anticipate that. Now they could save money for next year by back loading those deals, but with their injury histories I'd take the big cap hit on them next year to save you if things go south later.

Here's the flaw with your math:

Eifert already counts for $4.7 million in cap space
Burfict already counts for $4.7 million in cap space

Even if you bump them both to $10 million per year, you only have to come up with $10 million in NEW money.

Rey's contract will be up, freeing up $3.75 million
Adam Jones could be cut freeing up $6.6 million.

So, really, you don't have to come up with any new money at all to re-sign those guys.

As of now, the Bengals 2018 cap number is $60 million, so there is plenty of money there to extend Burfict and Eifert - even if we use up $30 million of it to sign Dre, Z and Whitworth.

So, really, the math doesn't make any sense.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hobson - only $15 million of cap to work with? - Hammerstripes - 02-28-2017, 11:48 PM