Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The life of a Bengal player: One with no control
(03-24-2017, 09:21 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Nice work, Jim.  I don't feel any additional sympathy for NFL players, backups, fringe roster guys, and guys that never made it.  They are no different from any of the rest of us.  

Sure, the stakes are higher.  If they hit, and get on a roster for a while, they earn big-time.  But, what bothers me the most, is that so many of them don't understand how to budget their money and spread those earnings out over time.  

I don't know the statistic off the top of my head, but the % of ex-NFL players that become bankrupt is staggering.  Again, this happens to non-NFL players as well.  It sickens me to hear all these debt-relief ads on the radio that paint a picture of "hey, it isn't your fault, and you can get away with paying just a  small amount of what you owe!".  What a misconception to paint to individuals.  Take no responsibility for your wreckless spending.  

I wish our schools would force a "personal economics" course to teach kids BEFORE they get out of high school about credit, budgeting, and retirement.  

I was fortunate to have a father that did all of that for me, and I am very grateful for his advice.

I never was going to hit big money in swimming.  Heck, only two or three of the fastest in the world get any real endorsements and financial windfall.  If you are looking for that, swimming isn't your sport.  It did, however, allow me to graduate college without any debt and that was a great head start to financial stability.  

Wallace might have earned $11 million in his career, but after taxes and agent fees, etc, he probably brought home half of that.  $5.5 million.  If I am earning $250,000 a year, you could say I have a 25 year, $5 million dollar contract.  I have 25 years to earn what he does in 9, but you get my point.  In 25 years, we are almost in the same boat.  Would I be driving a twin-turbo AMG Mercedes G-Wagon at that income (with aftermarket rims, total price $150,000)?  Heck, no.  Even with the NFL pension based on years of service, I wouldn't.  Now maybe he is single and has no plans on getting married.  Maybe he is a car guy and lives in a very modest home.  That isn't my point.  It is more just one of protecting oneself and preparing for the future.  

I don't mean to sound like I am doing things right and he or many NFL players are doing things wrong, but when it comes to taking care of yourself and your family financially everyone is in the same risk pool.  NFL players(the ones that make it)have to be careful not to live like they will always be receiving those huge paychecks and the ones on the fringe have to have a backup plan.  I was happy to hear Bennett clearly has that in place.

OK, stepping off the soap box.

This makes me think of Ryan Broyles. He played for Detroit a couple years ago, but he and his wife would only live off of 60K a year so that they wouldn't go bankrupt. I was happy to see someone actually be smart with their money.

Jim, great job. I always love reading what you post on these forums. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The life of a Bengal player: One with no control - rezolve11 - 03-24-2017, 10:34 AM