Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5 years $46 mil for TE Travis Kelce 1yr ago. Do Bengals pay Tyler Eifert that?
(03-28-2017, 04:11 PM)depthchart Wrote: Leonard Fournette gone for sure and Solomon Thomas likely gone before pick 9.
I do think the Bengals would take Solomon Thomas but all indications are he won't be there.
Derek Barnett, maybe, but would likely rotate with Michael Johnson and many Scouts consider Barnett to not be a sure thing with limited moves plus less inside value than Solomon Thomas.
Using 2 linebackers in Nickel packages a lot with Minter signing may mean no Reuben Foster as draft pick.
Lafell with 1,000 yard potential may mean no Corey Davis.
2 starting Safeties in the fold may make them wait on Drafting another.

Letting Tyler Eifert walk may net a 3rd round Compensatory pick.
Recent ankle and back surgeries for Eifert.
Nearly $10 million per year likely to extend Eifert in new market even with injury history.

* Brace yourselves because the more I think about this the more I think the pick will be OJ Howard.
   A team picking before the Bengals and taking Howard could be the only way it doesn't happen.

Howard is an amazing talent, and this is a question the Bengals will absolutely have to be asking themselves. 

Eifert would deserve the next contract if he is able to prove his health this season.  We already know when healthy that he is also an amazing talent.  If he can show he is 100% healthy and contribute all season, I think he will have earned the second contract and be a franchise cornerstone.  

Barnett has fallen out of favor with some here and some national scouts due to his "limited moves", but the thing about Barnett is even when teams knew about him, and game-planned for him, he still "got home".  A guy like that on this front four could be a huge addition.  This defense stubbornly sticks with the front four to generate pressure and rarely blitzes.  Without a significant upgrade at the RDE position, I think we still see a mean game of paddy-cake when the opposition goes maximum protection.

This early in the first round, the best values (if they are rated similarly) are the QBs, WRs, and pass-rushers because they command the most money in free agency.  I guess you can include CBs in that.  The extra year before they hit free agency for a first round pick is a HUGE advantage to the club on those premium-priced positions.

If Barnett is there, I think they take him.  I don't think he, Garrett, Allen, or Thomas will be...then the question becomes (if there is no trade back partner), do they take Davis or Ross at WR or a talent like Howard?  For this offense, I would rather have Ross or Davis.  But that is just this offense.  If I was the Patriots, or any number of teams that run even 3 TE sets?  I would take Howard. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 5 years $46 mil for TE Travis Kelce 1yr ago. Do Bengals pay Tyler Eifert that? - SHRacerX - 03-29-2017, 07:55 AM