Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Browns interested in McCarron per Mary Kay Cabot
(04-13-2017, 12:59 PM)BigSeph Wrote: I counted 2 in his career.  Dolphins 2016 and Cardinals 2015.

You can't count.

117.4 @ Pats (stout D)
93.1 vs Broncos (same defense Mac faced)
139.8 vs Browns
99.8 @ Cardinals (stout D)
111.8 vs Dolphins (playoff team)

All since 2014. Plus plenty of other games where he was close to 87.8.

(04-13-2017, 01:13 PM)BigSeph Wrote: 1.  The "weak arm" argument was due to his performance at the combine when he still had a hurt shoulder.  

[Image: AJ2AJ.0.gif]

2.  One would have said Aaron Rodgers would have taken Favre's job his first couple years if he "truly were capable."  Or Steve Young would have taken Montana's.  You get the point.

3.  Put a cap on Tom Brady, Tony Romo, Kurt Warner, you'd make a great NFL GM if you only relied on true studs like Akili Smith, Andre Ware, Tim Couch and Ryan Leaf.

4.  McCarron has one major flaw - lack of NFL experience.  That's where Andy has the edge on AJM.  Arm strength is a non-issue, he had a 53mph throw at the combine with a bum shoulder, Dak Prescott had a 54mph throw.  Garoppalo had a 55mph throw.  Nobody's constantly bagging on their arm strength.  AJM's been working with Tom House who has improved the velocity of Tom Brady, Drew Brees, and Andy Dalton.  If you don't want to sound like you're completely ignorant, then stop making ignorant comments about his arm strength.

1. That throw was lofted 40 yards and proves nothing about his arm. Just ask the best deep thrower in team history:

Quote:"[The deep ball] doesn’t have to do with arm strength," Blake said. "It has to do with trajectory, because the deep ball is not a hard throw. It’s a finesse throw."

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/8/11/9123697/cj-exclusive-interview-with-former-bengals-qb-jeff-blake

When Mac can flick a 50 yard rope like this - on the run, wake me up:

Notice the difference in trajectory.

2. Ugh. McCarron is not Steve Young or Aaron Rodgers. Just stop. Both of those guys were regarded as exceptional QBs waiting in the wings. McCarron isn't held in the same regard by anyone but you.

3. Ah...Brady, Romo and Warner. You realize that there's been literally hundreds of QBs drafted late (or undrafted), and beyond those 3 examples, there's pretty much no late round/undrafted QBs that amounted to anything. Finding a franchise QB or even a good starter that late is around the same odds as getting struck by lightning. That's why those guys are all great stories.

4. McCarron has no major flaws. Got it.

(04-13-2017, 01:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: Well, one of those was against that same tough Denver D....and one on the road against eventual Super Bowl Champs New England Ninja

Seriously man, I'm not bashing the kid.....nor propping up Dalton....just pointing out how I see it.

That said, what you're not realizing (probably because you weren't around), is that Andy Dalton was criticized FAR more than AJM (and still is by some) ever was, or will be on the old board.  So, what you are seeing is a group of guys that stood behind him and told people to calm down....he was young, and a 2nd rounder.  He has gone on to become what some of us thought he would...and 2015 even surpassed that for me.  So, when people come on here and are perceived to be bashing Andy to prop up AJ, it may get a little testy.  

To be fair to both of them, Marvin Lewis sucks.  His teams are RARELY prepared for the bright lights, and it shows.  For example, the New England game I highlighted.....14 had a very solid game, but AJ Green all of the sudden gets butter fingers and fumbles and drops balls, Sanzenbacher fumbles, seems we turned one over in the kicking game, and the defense was horrid.  You see, that's a fifteen year pattern, and there have been several QBs.

Well said, Wyche. I remember people calling for LeFevour to start year 1 over Dalton. Or when people were calling for Jason Campbell to start. We're going into year 7, with Dalton setting multiple franchise records and we're still having stupid debates about whether or not some 5th round backup that looked okay for a couple games is better than our franchise QB. 

People should understand the playoff/prime-time struggles by now. As you can see from my sig, Dalton has been better in prime-time lately, but this has been a hot topic with the Bengals since long before Dalton was around. Palmer struggled in prime-time here (passer rating in mid-70's), and 4 different QB's have been under center for a playoff game, with none posting a rating better than 68.3. Hint: 68.3 is still very bad. Dalton posted a near identical 67.4 against the Chargers and was roasted.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Browns interested in McCarron per Mary Kay Cabot - Shake n Blake - 04-13-2017, 02:12 PM