Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 Reds Season Day by Day Fan Feedback
(06-14-2017, 10:51 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: If the Reds can reach the all star break within 2.5 games of the NL Central lead (sitting at 4 games out, with every single team in the division within striking distance), I think there's an argument to be made about being buyers at the deadline.

I would prefer we sell because, let's be honest, this team is a fluke largely hoisted upon the shoulders of Cozart's statistically inexplicable numbers right now (as in, his exit velocity, BABIP and Line Drive rates make his batting average and slugging numbers a statistical anomaly across the league).

If we sell him high for a quality pitcher or future prospect with high upside, that would be an incredible win for this team.

But, if we can take advantage of our start to the season and maybe sneak into the playoffs due to a down year in the division, I would say that is worth a Winker or an Alfredo Rodriguez (Who I'm not all that fond of anyway) if we get a quality starter in return.

At the same time, we are on the brink of getting Finnegan, Bailey and, later in the year, Disco and that should greatly improve our starting pitching, so a trade may not even be necessary in order to keep pace in the division.

I do still want to sell high on Cozart regardless though. He is bound to come back down to earth any day now and I want the Reds to cash in on his hype while it's still there. Imagine what we could have gotten if we had sold Frazier high a few years ago. Or if we had held onto Chapman and dealt him when the Yankees did last year. 

Selling high is not something that the Reds have been good at in the past few years. I really hope we buck that trend with Cozart and scoot his ass out of town while the value is there.

Oh yea, ship Cozart regardless. The Reds have enough firepower without him. Ideally for some pitcher(s).
I agree, a trade for a pitcher may not be needed to keep pace in the division. But at some point (likely within next 2 years), the Reds need to either start getting some real quality pitching from their collection of younger pitching prospects and/or trade for someone who would we would have a high confidence in improving the rotation if the Reds hope to actually break away from the pack (like Chicago did last year). 
If the Reds wait more than a few years to try that, the hitters will begin to hit FA and leaving for a ton more money. Need to capitalize on these hitters being cheap.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2017 Reds Season Day by Day Fan Feedback - ochocincos - 06-14-2017, 11:09 AM