Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 Reds Season Day by Day Fan Feedback
(06-19-2017, 10:32 AM)samhain Wrote: Dick Williams has done a nice job rebuilding this team.  Almost all of his trades have ended in the Reds favor, save the Chapman move which wasn't necessarily his fault.

That said, I think it's time for him to start looking at adding non-Feldman/Arroyo caliber starters this offseason.  Our young pitchers look to be vastly overrated by Reds fans.  None of Garrett, Reed, or Stephenson have looked capable of being a MLB starter in the near future.  If he wants to win in 2018 or possibly even 19, it's time to either package some prospects for a TOR arm, or sign one on the open market.  The cavalry doesn't look to be arriving from any internal source soon.

To be fair to Garrett, he's had quite a few good starts. 6 of his 11 starts are quality starts (at least 6 IP, 3ER or less).

It's just when things go bad for him, they go really bad. Which, to an extent, is acceptable for a rookie.

He was dropped to the minors after starting 3-2 and an ERA of 4.25 (bloated by a 3 HR game against Milwaukee when they were raking) with 5 Quality Starts in 6 starts in order to preserve his arm and then came back up and was rusty from the 2 weeks off. 4 bad starts with the 4th ending after an inning due to an apparent injury. But he came back 5 days later and threw his 6th quality start.

We'll see how he pitches tomorrow.

I don't think he is a top of the rotation arm, but I think he fits perfectly into a #2 or #3 role with upside.

I agree that Reed and Stephenson are very discouraging. Stephenson has only one above average pitch and he can't seem to locate it and Reed is just...who even knows what's going on with him. Reed can have some good outings but then just implode in other appearances. His only truly poor performance this year was against Chicago, as they have not given him much of a chance to start.

I don't think he's a starter though. Something about the first inning just crushes him. In his 11 career starts, he has an ERA in the first inning of 15.55. Granted, his ERA for the rest of the innings is 6.28, but a lot of that may just be the snowball effect of how badly he plays in the first inning. 

If he could learn how to start games already warmed up and ready, he could greatly improve his ability to start games. He has the stuff necessary to be a good starter. I think it's all mental with him.

I am hopeful that Castillo and Mahle have a chance of being future #1 or #2 starters once they get to the Majors. Mahle I am particularly excited about. He seems to be a Bronson Arroyo type technician but with an actual fastball. He's got a lot of potential. I just hope he achieves it.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2017 Reds Season Day by Day Fan Feedback - CJD - 06-19-2017, 05:33 PM