Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Band I don't like that other people do
(04-14-2017, 07:27 PM)McC Wrote: For one thing, Elvis was not really even a musician.   And he took that music to a place Carl Perkins would never go.  Elvis was a way better singer and a way better showman.  Elvis is on Mt. Rushmore.  Perkins is much farther down the hill. 

Elvis was weird and got weirder as he got older and there was nobody who could say to him, leading to him dying on the throne at 44, but there is no diminishing his place in the pantheon.

Well yeah, Elvis wasn't really a musician he was a singer and entertainer. So does he even belong in this thread?

And, since he is in it, are you saying you revere entertainers more than musicians? So you would put Madonna or Britney Spears above (fill in the name of your favorite band) on "the hill?" I mean, if that is how you see it fine. That just seems odd to me. Hey, Stephen Colbert and Seth McFarland are great entertainers, and I have heard them both sing, but I wouldn't put either in any music hall of fame or say they were better than The Band or The Stones or The Beatles. But they are both arguably better entertainers and showmen than those bands or many others. Kiss - great showmen, but most seem to agree a pretty mediocre band. So I wouldn't put them up on Rushmore, but if entertaining throngs is the standard then they might be breathing fire down Elvis' neck up on the mountain top. Wink
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Band I don't like that other people do - xxlt - 04-15-2017, 12:22 PM