Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Band I don't like that other people do
(04-15-2017, 01:43 PM)McC Wrote: Where did you come up with all that?  I didn't say anything of the kind.

Does the title of the thread say musician anywhere in it?  Could we please just stick to the facts?

This is the problem with zeroing in on one single word of a comment.  You either ignore or miss the point of the comment.  Please go back and read the things I said and stop making shit up.

The thread title says, "Band."

Here is the definition of band:
noun

a company of persons or, sometimes, animals or things, joined, acting, or functioning together; aggregation; party; troop:
a band of protesters.
Music.
  1. a group of instrumentalists playing music of a specialized type:
    rock band; calypso band; mariachi band.
  2. a musical group, usually employing brass, percussion, and often woodwind instruments, that plays especially for marching or open-air performances.
  3. big band.
  4. dance band.
So I agreed with you that a singer is not a band, and therefore not really germane to the conversation. You said precisely that - that Elvis was really "not even a musician" (ergo not even a member of a band, and certainly not an entire band unto himself) and you clarified that he was "a singer" and "an entertainer." You were and are correct to note this.

But also you said a singer - who is by definition not a band - that same singer named Elvis, belonged on "Mt Rushmore" - presumably the Mt Rushmore of bands, or perhaps more broadly the Mt Rushmore of music. So, I was trying to understand your point, which seemed to be that while not a band Elvis was greater than most if not all bands.

Again, I simply agreed that Elvis really shouldn't be discussed as "a band" but since you went ahead and said he was worthy of higher honor (being on Mt Rushmore generally being considered an honor and not an insult)
than numerous other bands I was just trying to follow the logic. Are entertainers a "class" or "caste" or "strata" of the entertainment industry or more broadly the human race that have intrinsic value greater than than that of any band or group?

Perhaps. This would explain Wayne Newton, Sinatra, Cher, Elvis and others so often headlining clubs in Vegas for extended periods of time rather than bands headlining them. I was just trying to understand how you could in the same post acknowledge the simple fact "Elvis is not a band" but then say Elvis was greater than many if not all bands. If saying he belonged on Mt Rushmore and influenced music greatly was not meant as praise but rather as some sort of dig or insult of Elvis, I apologize for missing the point. Or maybe you meant actual Mt Rushmore and you were not speaking metaphorically but literally? Like - blast Jefferson off Mt Rushmore and put Elvis up there! Again, if that was the point and I missed it I do apologize.

If you didn't realize what you said, or don't know what you meant either, that is all good. But I wasn't making shit up. I was trying to understand shit you actually said.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Band I don't like that other people do - xxlt - 04-16-2017, 10:14 AM