Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Official Bengals Board Fantasy Football League
(02-18-2023, 02:01 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Having Mahomes and Barkley worked out pretty well for you. A QB like him can put up consistently good numbers. The top WRs are great to have but there's only a few of those guys to go around. I had Jefferson this year and he put up points for me. 

If you look at the draft, your first 4 picks were really solid. Barkley, Samuel, Mahomes, Montgomery. Samuel prob got you less points this year due to the number of offensive weapons the 49ers have, but he was a good pick. What really hurt your team was picks 5-9. Renfrow, Thielen, Mac Jone, Claypool and Robert Quinn. There's a lot of luck involved in FF drafting and you had nothing but bad luck with those picks. Take Johnny Cupcakes for example. He won the whole thing and his top 3 picks were Ekeler, Hill and Andrews. Home runs. But his next 3 picks were Antonio Gibson, Amari Cooper and Lamar Jackson. While Gibson and Cooper were hot/cold week to week, Jackson put up some solid numbers while he was healthy. Then his next 3 picks were Mooney, Schultz and Rhamandre Stevenson. Again, 3 really solid picks, no reaches. Stevenson was a real steal for round 9. 

If you look at my draft--i finished right in the middle--i took way too many chances on boom or bust players. My top 3 picks were Jefferson, Elliott and Keenan Allen. Elliott was a real reach and it didn't help that Pollard did so well this year. Keenan Allen got hurt, that's where the luck comes in. My next 3 picks were Michael Thomas, Tom Brady and Myles Garrett. Thomas was a real risk with his injury history and it really bit me in the butt. Brady has a history of putting up good numbers...until i took him this year and i have no idea why i took a defensive player that early. As it turned out, defensive guys were a waste of a spot. Then my next 3 were Cordarrelle Patterson, Michael Carter and Kirk Cousins. Patterson was risky pick, Carter was just a "meh" pick at that time and taking a backup QB that early was dumb. 

Drafting is always a crap shoot and is mostly luck, due to injures and just the possiblity of a guy having an off year. A person's strategy is also dependent on where they draft. With how late you drafted, you didn't really have a shot at any of the elite WRs and if you would have and you would have taken Cooper Kupp, you would have been in a world of hurtin' anyway. 

Well, you know what they say..."there's always next year". lol

Thanks, but I drafted poorly.  I deserved my losing streak season.  It may seem my first picks OK, but they forced me to go for second rate WR's picks 5 to 9.  I can see now in round One you have to get some teams #1 WR, a guy that is going to get the majority of a teams passes.  It could also be Kelce or a TE like that, as long as he gets the majority of a teams passes.  Renfro did good in 2021, but was injured all 2022.  Because Jefferson got so many passes, Thielen didn't get any and was even reduced to Vikings #3 or even # 4 WR.   Too many back-ups and Montgomery backing up Barkley in case he got injured again and Jones backing up Mahomes were too many back-up picks when I should have been going after pass catchers.  This is a pass catcher league with only one RB and no TE's.   Yes, Mahomes is good to have, so was Allen when I had him year before, but that year Tecmo won it all grabbing whatever QB he could get off free agency in play-offs, but he had the 2 Super Bowl WR's in Chase and Kupp.  Also early in season when Cowboys QB got injured, somebody offered me Lamb and somebody else for Samuel and others, and I regretted fast that I did not OK the trade.  The Cowboys throw often to Lamb.  That is what you nee in this league, a guy that gets 10 to 15 passes a game.  These guys that only get a couple or no passes a game are no good.   In this league, you need the go to guys.  I don't care how good or bad their teams are or who the QB is, if somebody is a teams go to guy and going to get 10 passes a game, every game, they are worth more than Mahomes in this league.   So I had Mahomes who was season MVP and Super Bowl MVP, but you had Jefferson who was easily this leagues MVP for all the pass catcher points.  Whoever had Kelce was better than having Mahomes.  It's better to have Chase than Burrow in this league. 

Thanks for the feedback.  However my first 4 picks were also bad. because they forced the players I took in 5 to 9, trying to get by with second rate pass catchers.  I drafted poorly.  You learn from your mistakes in chess and such, and I have one of the worst losing streaks in this leagues history to learn from.  I put together one of the worst teams ever, a real stinker, and I had season and Super Bowl MVP Mahomes, but my team stunk.  I laid one of the biggest eggs ever with my draft picks.  At least the Titanic made it to the iceberg, my team sunk leaving port.   So one year I had Henry and Allen, the next year Barkley and Mahomes.  I know now that may work in some leagues, but not in this league. All my losses show that.  I put together one of THE WORST teams ever in this league, a real stinker.  

This year I'm going in with a list of who the 32 teams top pass catchers are going to be, guys on a team that are going to get 10 passes a game.  These guys that go games without getting passes like Thielen, they don't make up for the top pass catchers I passed over taking Barkley or Mahomes. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Official Bengals Board Fantasy Football League - kevin - 03-15-2023, 01:48 PM