Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Players speak for first time on Marvin's contract situation
Thanks so much!
I’ll hit these in a couple groups so it’s not just a huge post:

@Sled21 He's at that point of win one or be gone.. this is a "what have you done for me lately" league....

I honestly have no inclination about his future should they go 6-10. My gut says they’ll move on (but he won’t be “fired” – his contract expired). Then again, they extended him after 2010. If they go 10-6 and lose in the first round…I think he’s back. And that axiom has applied in nearly every other city than Cincinnati

@TheUberHuber firing marvin is going to magically get us a playoff win is absurd

Philadelphia (Andy Reid) and Chicago (Lovie Smith) are really the only “comps” in that they won a bunch (yes, yes, I know the each at least went to Super Bowls) but I think there is a thought that the grass isn’t always greener … it just needs to bloom on your side for once.

@murdock2420 When the stories of how other teams and other coaches handle things start to swirl around, I'm sure Marvin and Mike don't measure up.

I think this was the case for ownership pre-CBA, or pre-salary cap floor and especially pre-Paul Brown Stadium. As for Marvin, I think there is a large respect level for him across the league, to be honest. X’s & O’s … that’s nearly impossible to tell. I think there is something to be said for the fact that the team really took off when the level of assistant coaches went up a notch. I don’t think that’s a knock on Lewis. Assistant coaches are very important – and there’s nothing wrong with a “CEO” mentality. He also should get credit for hiring them. I think there’s something to be said about 0-7 or the “big game” record (however you wish to definite them), however.

And Dungy is a good pull.

@TheUberHuber – health

Honestly – a big deal, IMO. I wasn’t here previous to 2015, but I think it’s pretty clear where this team was lacking in terms of star power / talent when it hit certain postseasons before that – and in ’15, the guy who probably would’ve finished second or third in the MVP voting was out with a cast on his thumb. Literally the entire team was healthy except for literally the ONE person who couldn’t afford to not be.

@masterpanthera_t - considering that this is a MB owned team, it may not be realistic to expect that a transition would be smooth to a new coach, simply because MB is not keen on conceding any ground to the new coach that Marvin had to work hard to earn.

There’s something to be said here. While I think Mike has moved to the side in some areas, Marvin has helped usher that. It’s a very, very unique working environment. A culture shock for nearly any assistant or previous head coach in the league. They may have a list of possible candidates (I think you always have to) but I imagine there would be some tie to Cincinnati.

@BFritz21 - Marvin is an old-school coach in his thinking about the game, which is more of a ground-and-pound and play defense, 

This may be true to an extent, but he did make a wildly out of the box hire with Jay Gruden. And Hue Jackson – while he loves to run the ball – it’s hard to call him traditional. And while the jury is out on Zampese, his whole life has been about throwing it all over the place. At least since 2011, the offense has opened up a bit (at least in terms of style / playbook).

@Dr.Bombay

Thanks for the question. I don’t make a special motion over there, but it’s a valid question. Winston clearly loves it here. Last year, Dansby has nothing but positives to say – I think largely because he played a bunch. I haven’t spoken much to Randy, to be honest, just “business” if you will.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Players speak for first time on Marvin's contract situation - jowczarski - 06-24-2017, 12:23 AM