Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spider-Man Homecoming - Spoilers and Opinions
I was starting to wonder where this thread was. More minorish spoilers

After going back and looking at Maguire and Garfield in the role, it's amazing that people (including myself, to be fair) were ever sold on them being in high school for their movies. I'm a subscriber to the belief that Maguire was an excellent Peter Parker, while Garfield was a superb Spider-Man.

While I don't personally feel that Holland nails, per se, either of the two characters like RDJ fits Iron Man to a T, he perfectly plays the overall image of a young kid trying to cope with his new powers and the "coming of age" story, as well as the duality of Peter Parker/Spider-Man. The moment that he left under the rubble was great, the fear of a 15 year old in that situation felt real genuine.

One thing that I think the film got completely right was foregoing the origin story. This is an area that I feel Batman VS Superman dropped the ball. If you bleed red you know that Wayne's parents were shot dead. You know about Uncle Ben being killed and the whole "great power, great responsibility" shtick.

One of the greatest things about the film was how genuinely Spider-Man the film felt, while still very different from what we've already seen. We've already seen the stereotypical Aryan jock Flash Thomspon. We've already seen Spider-Man swoon over the Mary Janes and Gwen Stacys. We saw the spider-sense thrown in our faces with fancy slow motion camera work. This film contains all of that, presented in a different light that feels refreshing for a franchise that has already had 5 movies in the past 15 years.

Oh, and Keaton played what is probably the most convincing villain since Loki. Thanos will have to be a lot better, but considering how shallow and underdeveloped most villains have been in the MCU, at least it's a step in the right direction.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Spider-Man Homecoming - Spoilers and Opinions - CKwi88 - 07-10-2017, 11:17 PM